Author Topic: Ceramic/Pottery Epergne with Gold  (Read 1703 times)

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
Ceramic/Pottery Epergne with Gold
« on: September 27, 2011, 08:48:02 pm »
Bought this item and I believe it's an epergne but of thick ceramic, possibly stoneware?  I'll post a pic of the bottom edge where the glaze meets unglaze.  It has gold designs I believe painted; I haven't been able to find any other just like it yet.  To me it looks similar to some of the Moore Bros. pieces (examples here: http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4505892 and here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOORE-BROS-PORCELAIN-EPERGNE-1890S-RARE-/220809318385 ).  There is a mark on the inside bottom but it is SO hard to make out, very very faint (if it even is a maker mark).  I've traced what it looks like and will attach that pic here in a sec.

I'm looking for age, maker, value, really anything.  There is one little chippy on the end of one of the flower petals (or cornucopia horns...not sure what to call them).

It's 10.75"H and 8: wide at the base.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
Re: Ceramic/Pottery Epergne with Gold
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 08:50:03 pm »
Some more pics

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 08:55:20 pm »
   You are sure on a roll with really cool stuff  :o   Not sure I could add anything to help you on your quest. 

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 08:57:58 pm »
THANKS!  ;D ;D  I made a long drive to a really cool auction over the weekend, got a lot of nice things and have even more goodies to share with y'all...it warms my heart that everyone appreciates these things that I fall in love with and takes the time to discuss them here with me!  Best forum ever.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 09:07:54 pm »
That is an awesome piece! Love it.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:32:20 am »
Very nice piece. Is that a C. J.? I have a pottery book and the only C. J. is not really similar. That company is New York City Pottery Majolica cream color wear. 1853-1888 I keep looking for that mark.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 12:28:25 pm »
Thanks snow & greenacres.  I don't know if it's a CJ, an 8, or none of the above.  It is just so faint.  I'm having trouble finding many ceramic epergnes at all.  Although I'm not even sure if this is ceramic...if it is, it's super thick.  You can see just how thick it is at the bottom where the glaze meets unglazed.  Still haven't found anything like it yet except those Moore Bros. pieces.