Author Topic: Roos cedar chest  (Read 691 times)

Hpell20

• View Profile
Roos cedar chest
« on: April 16, 2023, 10:04:11 am »
I got a Ed Roos cedar chest. It has no paper work and only a lot number on the bottom 4309. I will post in the pictures. I’m just wondering on how old it might be. Not to worried about value, I’m refurbishing it and selling it anyway. Any idea on this?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 11:38:26 pm by KC »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Roos cedar chest
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 11:45:33 pm »
This chest was likely made in late 1928 - 1930. 

The Roos Manufacturing Company of Forest Park/Chicago originated in 1871 but was reorganized and started producing cedar chests in 1918.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Hpell20

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 07:29:57 am »
I did think it was pretty old just because everything on it is cedar. The molding, the decrotive pieces, and the lid. It is pretty brittle also but all in all is in very good condition. You can tell the nails in it are very old but there is no paper work on it except the guarantee paper. There is a lot number on the bottom but thats it. I have not been able to find info on aging them.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 12:48:21 am »
Unfortunately some companies do not have alot of information available to date them.  If you look at others that are noted or for sale that list their numbers and have a date on them you will see that yours falls withing the dates. 

These are still wonderful items to have and help preserve your special blankets and treasures!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!