Author Topic: Painted Brooch 2 ?  (Read 1368 times)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Painted Brooch 2 ?
« on: September 29, 2011, 10:49:36 am »
I bought this for $16.50 I'm trying to learn more about painted brooches. This one seems hand painted. It seems to be signed in the back. ? not sure, I think it says Fitzgerld Squ ??? good. The difference in a good hand painted brooch seems to be the colors and the details. This brooch is just fair am I not right? This has a C clasp so I know it's old, but how do you value these. I'm going to start by putting that in my search engine.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
Re: Painted Brooch 2 ?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 10:53:03 am »
I'm sure you already know this, but did you look at it under a magnifying glass in the daylight (outside is really best) to see if there are tiny dots at all indicating a print?  Or if you see brushstrokes there?  Very pretty piece, Green!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 05:04:59 pm »
Thanks! What I really want to know are the quality of paintings and colors. It that what determines price?That I guess that includes age.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 12:18:14 pm »
Well, I don't think the quality of the image will make any difference if it is a print, so that would be the first thing to determine If you truly have a hand-painted image it would make a big difference on the value. The value of an artist's work depends not only on his or her skill as an artist, but in their popularity. A well-known artist commands a higher value, even if their work is equal to that of other artists. It's all in what people want to buy and what they covet and are willing to pay to get it. It's not just about skill and craftsmanship. So I don't think there is an easy answer to that question, other than looking at the image and being able to see finely painted detail. It may or may not translate into $$.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 12:53:17 pm »
Thank you, tales. I see some brooches that are beautiful and get minimal money. Yet I see a brooch the could look similar and be $1300.00. I'm trying to see the difference in the vast difference of price. Sometimes I notice the detail was better with better colors in the paint.