Author Topic: a few garage sale finds  (Read 2927 times)

JoshandLila

• View Profile
a few garage sale finds
« on: October 02, 2011, 08:09:00 am »
Mornin everybody!! our garage saling didnt yield any major incredible finds this week but I did find a few items that Im curious about so I was just gonna put them up and see what you think. The first one is a glass vase that I thought was too cool for words, not sure how old it is and no makers mark but I figured someone on here would know. The second are old horse and buggy steps I thought we'd use for a project later. the round one says patented on the bottom and theres a number that intersects that starts with 17 and has an A at they end, but no way of lookin underneath the rivets to read the rest.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 08:15:09 am by JoshandLila »
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

mart

• View Profile
Re: a few garage sale finds
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 08:38:47 am »
Vase is a type of stretch glass probably 60`s or 70`s !! Nice find and some do collect these !! Love the buggy steps !!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 09:06:58 am »
     Cool stretch Vase for sure, looks kind of big, how tall is it, usually I see these that are smaller.  They tend to be a bit tippy.

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:21:24 am »
its not huge, stands bout 12" tall buts really sturdy! I just bumped the stand it sits on while I was measuring it and it was the only thing that didnt wobble lol
H. G. Wells

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 10:13:28 am »
IN my southern neck of the woods these are "fairly common" these days....they were prominent from 70's onward but were in their heyday in the 90's.  It is very pretty!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 10:30:54 am »
Cool piece!  Agree with the others on stretch glass, probably 1960s.  Often these came like a swan bowl:  http://cgi.ebay.com/MURANO-CHALET-VINTAGE-GLASS-SWAN-BOWL-ITALY-/280674481969

Some possible makers:  Chalet Glass, West Virginia Glass Co, or could be a Murano piece, but hard to positively ID a maker on these, honestly.  Nice find!  Very pretty.

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 11:38:26 am »
Thanks, it does look quite similar to that for sure. Glad to know it was worth the $4, thanks for they info!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 11:40:02 am by JoshandLila »
H. G. Wells

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 12:38:21 pm »
Lovin' those steps J&L!

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 01:29:52 pm »
arent they cool? :) thats the perk of livin near amish country. lots of horse and buggy stuff around and its all pretty well taken care of. were open to suggestions on a project for the steps.. was thinking candle holders maybe
H. G. Wells

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 02:54:47 pm »
They would make awesome candle holders. We have Mennonites near-by. I envy them! We buy their home-made summer sausage every year. Used to get our veggies there too, but now we have our own gardens.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 06:07:11 pm »
Only summer sausage we can get here is at the grocery store !! I am jealous !! We have two good size gardens though and raise all our own vegetables and working on fruit trees !! Had watermelons and cantaloupe stacked up like cord wood last year even with the drought !! Tomatoes went crazy too !!  Had a bumper crop !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 06:17:34 pm »
We built a temporary green house this year and will be growing for the next few months. We have had a few really cold nights and had to build small ones over the peppers in the garden too. Just a great growing season over all for us too! All that fruit! We're going to try next year but with our winters, it can be hard to do. Where there is a will there is a way! The animals destroyed our pumpkin plant. Ate a hole in each and every pumpkin! Live and learn. Toamtoes were just great for us too. We're still picking and growing in the green house. Mmmm, home-made salsa!