Author Topic: Furniture with Jasperware (Wedgwood)  (Read 5116 times)

KiwiHoshi

• View Profile
Re: Furniture with Jasperware (Wedgwood)
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 12:32:06 pm »
Sounds like a great idea!  I never thought about offering cash in hand...so that might be a good negotiating tool.  As far as insurance purposes go, what would you value the set?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 01:27:51 pm »
For insurance purposes I would double the purchase price !!

KiwiHoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 08:39:31 pm »
Hi,

Sorry, it's been a while since I've posted.  Life caught up with me, lol.

Anyway, I thought I'd let you know that I wasn't able to purchase the set. :'(  Even thought I know the store has had the set for quite some time, the store owner would not budge on the price.  Of course, you could tell from the photos that the hardware was falling off and would need fixed...and some was missing.  I couldn't find the bag with the other jasperware pieces and asked her about it; she claimed the other pieces were never there.  I also discovered that there was more damage to the set (possibly from when they moved it over towards the wall?); it would definitely need glued in places.  I mean, a chunk of the wood for the side table can be pulled off and then, put back in.  Not to mention, the bed frame is coming off from the bottom headboard.

When I pointed out the damage (and to justify why I couldn't afford to pay her asking price), she told me a story and told me that it's normal...she used it for "years" (with all the missing pieces, damage, hardware coming off, etc.); and that wealthy people on the east coast of the u.s. have furniture just like this that they use everyday.  Anyone know if that's true?

So, I decided to forgo it...for now.  I can't pay $1500 for all of that, especially with the damage to repair.  Is it even possible to get replacements for the missing jasperware pieces?  And can you tell if the furniture has been refinished?  She told me it used to be all painted and that she had to strip it...but surely, remnants of the paint would remain in the carved areas? Right?

Thanks for all the help!  ;D

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 06:16:00 am »
I also discovered that there was more damage to the set (possibly from when they moved it over towards the wall?); it would definitely need glued in places.  I mean, a chunk of the wood for the side table can be pulled off and then, put back in.  Not to mention, the bed frame is coming off from the bottom headboard........

.......... She told me it used to be all painted and that she had to strip it...but surely, remnants of the paint would remain in the carved areas? Right?

Kiwi, the first thing that came to my mind about the condition after reading your comment about it having been stripped was that the whole set may have undergone the insane process (to me anyway) that was popular here (east coast of Canada) in the 70's. Dip n Strip.  Whole pieces of furniture would be immersed in a 'bath' of stripper.  What many clients found was that lovely old furniture that had stood for years was being returned to them in pieces as much of the construction was glued. The total immersion in stripper not only removed the finish it dissolved the glue that held much the piece together.

It's a shame the dealer wouldn't consider some sort of arrangement at least, especially considering the condition.

KiwiHoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 06:20:40 pm »
Thanks for your reply, sapphire.  Yeah, I was pretty disappointed that she wouldn't budge on the price.  I sure hope the furniture hadn't been stripped that way...sounds really sad, especially since the furniture was able to make it this long without being destroyed.  As far as the chunk of wood goes, it wasn't any part that would've had glue...it was an area where the wood had cracked in the middle and split through...and she never noticed to repair it.  ???  Other parts had cracks or chips, as well.  I honestly think she had no clue, because when I pointed out these problems she seemed surprised.  She then covered and said she'd used it that way for years (slept on the bed, etc.)  I'd be amazed, if she had.  I don't see how she would have been able to open the drawers, and I'd think the bed would have fallen often.  :-\

As far as the jasperware goes, would it be possible to have them remade based on the medallions that are still there?

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 07:28:39 pm »
I'd think that you likely could have them made, but by doing some searching on ebay, etc. a person may just luck into originals.