Author Topic: Two Rocker Blotter Desk Accessories  (Read 4917 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Two Rocker Blotter Desk Accessories
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 11:35:07 am »
Neat inkwell collection GA!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 06:24:43 pm »
Thanks, I love old bottles. I wish I knew someone who had a tumbler, so I could clean them like new.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 01:37:54 am »
Snowflake, here's Birk's catalogue from 1911.  On page 80 (using the page counter at the bottom) it shows desk accessories, with a roller blotter priced at $6.00 (that's a lot of money back then)  Unfortunately no great detail to see.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/49416977/Birks-Yearbook-jewelry-Catalogue

Lots of other cool stuff there too ;)

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 10:43:56 am »
I wonder...  Am I to read this as meaning the flat blotter style (1850) is older than the rocker blotter style (1880-1950)? Will search some more...

Before the rocker blotter, you would purchase a blotting PAGE -- a full sheet of blotting paper.  The purpose of blotting paper is to blot the excess ink from a handwritten letter.  As such, you would use the blotting paper two ways -- you would lay a full sheet over a completed page of a letter or other document, and blot the entire page in one swoop; or you would lay a piece under your hand or sleeve, to prevent ink from staining as you write or move from paper to inkwell.

The rocker blotter comes into being in the industrial revolution, with the rise of the typewriter -- essentially, when the only thing you need to blot is the signature.  Its size made it handy for ladies to write little notes -- invitations, short messages, dinner menus, etc.

Blotting paper was larger than the standard paper of the era.  The most famous literary use of blotting paper was by Jane Austen, who -- while working on her novels in the drawing room -- would hide the pages of her works in progress under a sheet of blotting paper, when a visitor came to call. 

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 02:18:34 pm »
Thank you, Sapphire and CuriousCollector! Such great information. And that catalogue! I love it! Bookmarked it! Just have to love the internet when we get to see things like that!