Author Topic: Help indentify artist.  (Read 4452 times)

TheTodds

• View Profile
Re: Help indentify artist.
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 02:42:24 pm »
I have pretty much bombed out every direction with this one !! About all  I can find points to a UK artist but Not sure which one !! Agnes Gardener King was a victorian genre artist and so was Henry John Yeend King and those are the two closest so far !! Looked through some of their work but didn`t find anything similar !! Both had mostly farm scenes !! Found a print on ebay most like yours but no signature given !! That play on light is what I am mostly looking for !! I have checked AC King AG King, H. King ( definately not that one unless you like broccoli enough to hang it on your wall) and HJ that I mentioned above !! Also checked the same initials with the last name Kuny because it looked similar !!
If this pic has a dust cover on it you might check the back of the actual print to see if there is more info or take it out of the frame and check the border of the print for the painting name !!
The picture was bought unframed,and i checked it thoroughly for a name,but there's nothing.
I too found Agnes,Henry and Haynes King,but none of their painting's were anything like my one.The painting style is totally different.I live in the UK so i am guessing it would be a UK or European artist.
It's funny you mention that you tried the surname Kuny,because i was also wondering if the surname might not be King.I am only going by what the antique's dealer said,it look's like King but doesn't if you know what i mean?
It does look a little like kun but what i assume to be a g looks like a back to front P.the first 3 letters are joined but the last isn't.
The second initial looks like a capital "H" if you compare to old handwriting styles.

http://www.google.com/search?q=old+handwriting+style&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=GV0&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=OWmUTpCFHujKiQKp8JzgBA&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1432&bih=702

If the above link doesn't work just google old handwriting styles and check out images.

There was a John Haynes King. From another site: "King was born in Barbados, but came to England in his early twenties where he became a notable London based figure painter. He exhibited at the Royal Academy from the 1860s-1900s."

Still looking for an example of his signature...
Thank's for the link,it does look like a H.
I really would like to get to the bottom of this.Thanks for all the help.

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 05:02:12 pm »
Maybe its A.E. King?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 06:52:46 pm »
Nope !!  Checked that one too !!  And a bunch of other combinations !!  Let me look more tomorrow !!  Its got to be out there somewhere !!