Author Topic: Interesting Cabinet  (Read 1837 times)

MurphysBox

• View Profile
Interesting Cabinet
« on: October 21, 2011, 01:07:49 pm »
Hi, my name is Adam. I have come to you all today to try and see if I can figure out what I have. I have what my wife calls, Ob.Cs.Do. (Obsessive Case Disorder) because I love cases and purchase them whenever I see a unique or interesting one at a Garage Sale or when I am at a Thrift Shop. I have a collection of empty cases at the moment just waiting to find the right thing to put in them. :)

I recently however purchased a strange Cabinet that I am having trouble identifying. I haven't had much time to disassemble it yet and look for any more manufacturer's markings besides one. This cabinet has a countertop, and underneath of it there is a swing-out counter top that can also extend. Underneath on the metal part of the swing-out top there is, "I-33-16AR" punched into the metal. I have been so far unsuccessful at finding out what this is. It is probably not worth much but I like it and I am just curious as to what it might have been used for. I have enclosed pictures but let me know if they are not clear enough.

Here is the cabinet

Here is the swing-out counter

A large door in the front opens to reveal shelves

The floral print of this drawer is interesting to see in a metal cabinet

Here is the number I spoke of, not sure of what it means

It is a fixer upper for sure but it seems to be in decent shape.

Any help in identifying this would sate my curiousness.

Thank you.

MurphsBox
Adam

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Interesting Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 01:21:50 pm »
Well, the top of it is laminated particle board if I am not mistaken, and that would definitely be a modern material, not part of an antique. Does it look like the top was added onto an older piece? You photos look really dark on my computer and I'm having trouble seeing that part of it.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

MurphysBox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 01:26:39 pm »
It can't be too old because it is particle board as far as I can tell on the top. I actually got my necked sliced a little bit when I was carrying it because the swing out counter came flying out and hit me.

I am sorry for the dark pictures, it was the best I could do at the time.

I am merely curious about what it is.

Thanks,
Murphysbox
Adam

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 04:14:38 pm »
Looks like a bedside stand that most hospital patient rooms would have been furnished with at one time.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 04:20:32 pm »
Offhand it looks like it was used in a medical or dental office about 50`s or so !!  It would have had metal shelves on the swing out that medical instruments would be placed on !!  They have just been replaced with particle board/ formica !!  Looks like what someone would fix to use by the grill to sit items on and since it rolls,, they could move it easily !!  Knives,,forks,,ect went in the drawer !! Thats why its lined with that sticky back vinyl  Come to think of it,,I could use one like that !!  Quite handy !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 04:23:53 pm »
Good one, Rauville! I think you are spot on!
http://pastpresentfuture.net/furniture/cabinets/index.html