Author Topic: Catholic Action Bible  (Read 1946 times)

Lyndie

• View Profile
Catholic Action Bible
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:17:43 am »
I have a Catholic Action Bible. Copyright 1961. It has a red leather cover. It was published by Good Will Publishers. It has photos of the Holy Land. Additional artwork is by-
Sebastien Bourdon
Carl Bloch
Bernhard Plockhorst

Some additional artwork and drawing are not identified. I am wondering if this is worth anything. I did research online but can seem to find and value for the works. Pics attached.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Catholic Action Bible
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 02:09:55 pm »
Well,, the pics shown are not photos but are artists depictions of events !! I doubt if there is much value other than what it cost to purchase that book as many would have been printed in 1961 !! But get others opinions here !!  I am not catholic so possibly I am not well informed !!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 08:53:32 am »
This one looks like yours and it sold for $16. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-CATHOLIC-ACTION-EDITION-HOLY-BIBLE-LARGE-6-LBS-/230667658471?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b4dd24e7

There were 4 bids so that indicates a bit of interest. Many Bibles don't sell well so it may be a good sign.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 09:55:24 pm »
Maybe $20 for it. It's a not very rare, nor in pristine condition. I've got a Bible in a three volume set with lost of art along with the entire Old and New Testament and Apocrypha that I paid $100 for. But it's 1910 printing.

Some Bibles have a lot of value, but overall, not so much.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 05:32:42 am »
Some Bibles have a lot of value, but overall, not so much.

The Bible is the number one best selling book of all time.  As such, it's incredibly common. Valuable Bibles are rare.  Even very old Bibles can be worth very little, relatively speaking.  If it was owned by a famous person, if it tells a story in conjunction with other items (for example, a collection of Civil War artifacts, including the Bible Great-grampa Joe was carrying when he was shot, and there's the bullet lodged in it), if it is exceptionally well-tooled leather, is hand-written/hand-illustrated -- then it might be worth something.