Author Topic: Minnesota "L" sewing machine... value?  (Read 1863 times)

JoshandLila

• View Profile
Minnesota "L" sewing machine... value?
« on: October 23, 2011, 06:54:58 am »
Hi folks!! had a GREAT day pickin around yesterday and wanted to put up some of my finds to see what you all thought. This was my great grandmothers sewing machine. Treadle powered, I believe it was made around 1910 in Chicago as  competition to the Singer brand but I cant find out too much more than that. What do ya think?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:20:31 am by JoshandLila »
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Minnesota "L" sewing machine... value?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 12:56:30 pm »
VERY nice and it looks to be in great shape! Have a look in the bobbin compartment and see if the shuttle (bullet shaped device) is in there and if there is a spindle bobbin inside it. If you've got both of those, it looks like you're ready to thread it and put it to work! I love my antique treadle and recently acquired two hand cranks and will never go back to a modern machine.

Prices on treadles vary greatly. On average for a fully functional treadle, you could realistically get about $200 on Craigslist.

If you've got the shuttle there, we can sort out how to thread that and get it running. If not, we can find one online pretty easily.

Treadle to the metal!!!!!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 01:23:53 pm »
Thanks Tales, knew I could count on you for this one  :) Everything is there and its fully functional, in fact my mother learned how to sew using this machine. Im not a sewing person, but the cabinet on this is BEAUTIFUL, and the old paint on the machine is awesome, and it says Minnesota.. doubt Il ever see another one like it. Thanks for they info!! If I decide to try it out Il definitely be coming to you for help  ;D
H. G. Wells

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 05:46:03 pm »
I believe the Minnesota brand was used by Sears Roebuck for a line of their machines. Probably was manufactured by one of the Cleveland, Ohio based companies that produced branded products for Sears.

The enclosed cabinet type of machine has always been popular with antique seekers, probably because of the "it doesn't look like a sewing machine" appearance.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 01:12:19 am »
Even if you don't use it, get a little sewing machine oil from a fabric store and oil any place where you've got metal on metal. Just to keep the parts moving smoothly. That is really cool that your mom learned to sew on it!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 08:49:05 am »
Here's the thing about sewing machines....  You never need 'em until you have 'em  :)

Hubby bought me a new one a few months back.  I kind of thought it was a waste but now I am pretty thankful!....

I use mine for clothes but also for making covers for our stuff outside and I think I've modified almost every one of my backpacks. I would never have done this (or could have done it) with a needle and thread... And these old ones are amazing on the tough to sew stuff. Way better than my modern one.

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 11:07:29 am »
just did some digging at the scrap yard and I found the internal treadle mechanism for a New Home sewing machine that, other than the cross piece, is pretty close to mine. the machine was shot but the treadle still works!! gotta love replacement parts!!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 11:30:35 am by JoshandLila »
H. G. Wells