Author Topic: What is this called …….. and its intended purpose?  (Read 2228 times)

cogar

• View Profile
What is this called …….. and its intended purpose?
« on: October 27, 2011, 02:47:41 pm »
And this is not a “quiz” post because I really don’t know.

Is it a “wall pocket”, …… a “watering” wall planter, ….. ???

It was purchased by the wife about 27 years ago, from an old acquaintance of hers, who said she had owned it for quite a number of years, which dates it to at least pre-1970.

It was photographed on the tile floor in the kitchen and you can judge its size given the fact those are 12” sq. floor tiles. Thus, the center piece (w/out lid) is about 11” tall. It is made to hang flat against the wall (see 3rd photo) in the approximate position as shown in the 1st photo.   

It consists of 3 pieces (see 2nd photo) : a lid, …. a container that holds water (I assume) ….. and a “catch” bowl for the liquid. It is made of ceramic, glazed inside and out, and has a matte finish similar to Roseville. It has a brass spigot at the bottom front, again I hafta assume for releasing the liquid into the “catch” bowl.

And please note, …… the “open space” one can see through the “holes” in the front …. DOES NOT extend into the part of the container that holds the water.

It was damaged when the wife bought it (see 4th photo). The fingers of the left hand of the left Cupid are broken off and the right arm of the right Cupid is broken off. The 5th photo is an enlargement of the “catch” bowl.   

cogar

• View Profile
Re: What is this called …….. and its intended purpose?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 02:49:25 pm »
Photo #5 -"catch" bowl

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 02:58:49 pm »
No Cogar it is not meant to hold water !! Its only decorative !! Those were popular 50`s through 70`s at least,, although my mother kept one till it broke in a move !!  Just can`t remember the name for them !!  Some did put artificial flowers in the  bowl part !! Yours has the cupids made on the piece but many were made separately and went on each side of the urn part !! Think it was called a lava bowl or something like that !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 03:21:18 pm »
Mart, the wife said her friend called it or pronounced the name ...... "la... vobe".

OK, and via your help the wife just found the name, ..... a lavabo.

From Wikipedia, ..... "A lavabo is a device used to provide water for the washing of hands.".

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 04:35:49 pm »
The little spigot seems to indicate it was for water. Personally it makes me want to dip my finger in it and make a sign of the Cross but that's just the Catholic in me.  I wonder where this would normally be kept or is it truly decorative...
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 05:12:50 pm »
I thought of it being a holy water font too! Then kept my mouth shut, because I really don't know. But I could see it at the front of the church, kept fully stocked with water. Lovely piece! (Whatever it ends up being)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:21:07 pm by snowflake »

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 05:46:11 pm »
Knew it was something like that !! Goes to show I didn`t listen to mother very closely !!  They just never did float my boat so I really paid little attention to those things hanging in the hallway  !!  Wasn`t my style !!