Author Topic: Can anyone date these?  (Read 2244 times)

BungalowMo

• View Profile
Can anyone date these?
« on: October 26, 2011, 12:33:55 pm »
I promise to get photos of any marks that may be underneath or behind....but I picked up these 2 pieces up the street a few weeks ago.  Both pieces for under $150 total.  I was happy with that!

First, my little table.  I totally fell in love with it!

And here is my chair! 

Next pics...I won't be lazy & use the cell cam.  I'll get out the good one.  The flash makes the chair look like the weaving is wearing on the edges of the seat....but it's not.  The weaving is in great shape!

But anywho...any ideas on the time period for these?  From what I've learned & seen about antiques tells me late 1800.  Thanks for any info you can pass along!!   :)
I can fully appreciate the meaning behind the phrase "They just don't make 'em like they used to".

mart

• View Profile
Re: Can anyone date these?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 01:42:17 pm »
Very nice tiger oak library table !! Could date anywhere between 1890 and 1910 !! They were made after 1910 but since these are difficult to date, we will go with the earlier one !!
Approx. same for the country style rush bottom side chair !! Give or take a few years for both !!  Good oak is always an excellent investment !! Imo !!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 01:55:09 pm »
Are there drawers in the table?  If so can we get pics of the inside and outside of the drawers detailing the dovetails/joint construction? 

BTW: Love the rocker in the back by the fireplace!!  AND your huge beautiful moldings!!  Do you have a Craftsman Style home? 

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 02:44:27 pm »
He has an adorable Craftsman Bungalow !! Go to new members and read "Greetings from Virginia" !!  He has a pic !!

BungalowMo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 03:07:01 pm »
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, the table has one long drawer and I know it has dovetail construction as well. I was immediately drawn to the tiger oak.  It's the only piece I own so far. (notice the "so far"! haha)

I will get pics of the drawer inside & all other detail & marks on both pieces tomorrow morning.  I get home from work around 11 & need daylight for better pics.

Hey...my rocker in the background...that was another sweet deal from the same shop.  NO marks anywhere...believe me, I looked in hopes it was a stickley!  But I still love the cutouts & the leather seat.

At our Historical Society, my place is listed as a Craftsman Bungalow...although it doesn't have the nice built-ins that many true Craftsman homes have.  I was just happy to have unpainted woodwork & nearly all the original light fixtures.
I can fully appreciate the meaning behind the phrase "They just don't make 'em like they used to".

BungalowMo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 03:08:46 pm »
He has an adorable Craftsman Bungalow !! Go to new members and read "Greetings from Virginia" !!  He has a pic !!

That'd be SHE!  **grin grin**  hehe

Oh, and thanks for the "Adorable" comment...I think so too!  (not that I had anything to do with it!)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:11:26 pm by BungalowMo »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 03:18:06 pm »
I was just happy to have unpainted woodwork & nearly all the original light fixtures.

Nice!! While Craftsman Style homes are in no danger of extinction, never painted woodwork certainly is!!

Your rocker does look Stickley in style but I doubt he would have tolerated all those fancy cut outs!!  hehehe 
FYI the 3 circle cutouts are called Trefoils (I believe)
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 03:53:08 pm »
I am particularly fond of that style and of American Oak furniture !! I have a similar library table that our TV is sitting on !! Isn`t Tiger Oak though !! Plain grain !! I would love to see the lighting in your house !! I have a twin arm brass craftsman with original shades that I need to clean and put on ebay !! One shade has some damage due to a wreck before I could unload it but its still fine to use !!  I have always thought it would look great on something like your porch !! Just wanted something to compare it to !! No craftsman houses where I live !!

BungalowMo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 04:11:10 pm »
Hey Mart.....since you asked....my lighting

Living room

Dining room

Upstairs hall (I have cleaned this up since the pic!)

Porch light...I have 2 on either side of my front door and they left another in the pantry!  I want to mount it at my driveway entrance at some point.  The 2 on the porch need some cleaning up & a coat of paint.

These are in both upstairs bedrooms & the little office downstairs.  It's the only pic I have & they still look this way.

Most of them have a definate Art Deco vibe to them....