Author Topic: What on earth is this thing? Front pic!  (Read 4565 times)

07bkwill

What on earth is this thing? Front pic!
« on: October 25, 2011, 11:51:48 am »
This came from my late grandfather who spent the majority of his life traveling overseas. I have no clue what it is. Appears to be some sort of indian or egyptian and seems to be made out of brass? The back has no markings on it at all. Anyone  know what this is, where it came from, how old, or what is may be worth? Pictures didn't turn out the best unfortunately. Thanks!

07bkwill

Re: What on earth is this thing? Front pic!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 01:03:03 pm »
I have spent hours online out of curiousity and can't find anything even close to it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 01:19:26 pm »
Have you checked Aztec or Mayan culture symbols !! Does it sit, stand, lay down or what ??

07bkwill

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 01:21:20 pm »
It seems to only lay down. There is no spot to mount it to a wall or anything. I have tried a ton of names, but not that, good idea I will try it! Thanks!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 01:21:39 pm »
A bootjack??????????????   ??? ???

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 01:28:28 pm »
Probably work Cogar if it were upside down !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 01:49:27 pm »
Is it something to do with baring a gift? That's how they carried water and fruits and packages.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 02:40:05 pm »
Could very well be a sellers symbol from a market, !!  Kind of looks more copper than brass !!

07bkwill

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 03:44:23 pm »
I have heard copper more than brass from a few people. One Indian collector guy said....."Appears to be abstract mid 20th century cast bronze sculpture, possibly made in Mexico or Central America. Dealers of such items might be able to identify the artist and appraise it." Any idea on who might know? Thanks again!

BungalowMo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 03:50:30 pm »
Whatever it is.....(s)he's Happy!!  :D
I can fully appreciate the meaning behind the phrase "They just don't make 'em like they used to".

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 06:21:16 pm »

I would agree on Central America although I am not seeing anything I recognize as Mexico !! But you never know !! Give it a day or so and see what some of the other members have to say !!

I have heard copper more than brass from a few people. One Indian collector guy said....."Appears to be abstract mid 20th century cast bronze sculpture, possibly made in Mexico or Central America. Dealers of such items might be able to identify the artist and appraise it." Any idea on who might know? Thanks again!

07bkwill

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 02:36:57 pm »
I put it on ebay for fun for $4. Nothing haha!

Hoofhearted

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 06:29:10 am »
I'm not sure either, but I think certain ancient astronaut theorist from the History Channel might have some speculations to offer.

Hoofhearted

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 08:13:48 am »
seriously though Will. Have you tried listing this thing on ebay with something like "Ancient Alien Art Artifact" in the title?

Because you never know- whoever crafted this thing could have been merely making a  representation of some space craft or some biengs they really saw and a technology that they couldn't have otherwised explained.

Heck- whoever made this thing could have even been made to or ordered to by which ever race of beings was running the planet at the time. These ancient aliens or astronauts could have enslaved our iron workers and forced them to make artful objects that the aliens could then send back to their planet and sell online.

Just saying- you never know ::)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 09:02:02 am »
There were two posts on this and that was my thought ,,, ancient alien !!  Call it an "ancient alien sculpture" list it in the wierd things catagory on ebay and might do well !! They have some odd stuff in that catagory !!