Author Topic: Newer table with antique feel, couple questions...  (Read 1917 times)

pantrwrstl

• View Profile
Newer table with antique feel, couple questions...
« on: October 30, 2011, 11:55:29 pm »
So I found this table at an estate sale this weekend. I had no intention of buying it, especially at the price they wanted, but I thought it was pretty cool and unique looking and when I shot them a price a quarter of what they wanted, and they took it, I became the new proud owner. It is made by Ferguson Copeland Ltd. and called King's row end table, which I know is a newer company (started in 1996), but like I said, it has an antique look to it, and I don't really know anywhere else to go for questions.
So, question 1: Anyone have any history with this company and its products? They don't list prices on their website, and I can't seem to find the table anywhere online. I've only found one site that actually has a price or two on some of there products, to which they had a cocktail table of near similar size, but looks nothing alike, listed with a MSRP of 5400$, and on clearance for 2000$. So if anyone could help me asses an actual value  onto this table I would appreciate it.
Question 2: on the very bottom of the base of it, there is one small chip. Does anyone know of a possible fix for something like this? The base is fairly heavy but is hollow, and the exposed material where the chip is looks almost like stone or marble of some sort. So any suggestions on material and/or a fix for it would be appreciated there...
Anyway, thats it for now, I'll probably email the company and ask similar questions too, but don't expect to much out of them. Thanks for the looks and help.  Table is 25" tall and top size is 34" wide, if the size helps with anything..heres the pics

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Newer table with antique feel, couple questions...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 12:46:14 am »
I haven't heard of the company until now so I don't have any experience with them. I really like the design on the table's top, it's pretty unique. Unfortunately, the base appears to be a resin or some other man made material rather than some sort of stone. I could only see it being worth $5,400 if it were hand carved marble or stone. In my opinion, with it being so new, being resin and having damage, it's probably not worth more than $100 or so. But remember, buy what you like. If you like it then it was worth buying!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 12:48:08 am »
Also, if it were worth $5,400 new then it would not have a sticker like that. It would have a branded name into the wood, a metal engraved maker's plate or something else similar and permanent. :)

pantrwrstl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 09:40:43 am »
thanks. I only paid 100 for it, so that seems about right. The damage is smaller than the picture makes it seem. An inch high at the most, any ideas on a repair for it? Or would just painting over it, or just leaving it be be my best option here?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 10:49:05 am »
First of all the Mfr`s suggested retail price is usually about half what it probably sold for originally !! Kind of like the MSRP on a cars window sticker is way more that what that dealer will take for it !! Its a newer table and does appear to be a composite resin of some sort !! If you just want to color the chipped place so it doesn`t show so much, you can use an acryllic paint in a color that is close to the rest of it and just stipple in on the chipped place with a dry brush technique !! (not much paint on brush)
You table actually looks a bit like the tables used for a foyer or entryway but could be used as a breakfast table or on a patio or deck !! (covered of course) I would value it somewhere between $100. and $200. !!  Price just depends on who wants it and how bad they want it !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 02:32:05 pm »
There'sa few ways to repair your item , pantrwrstl ...

Dirty & cheap would be to use a 'sharpie' permanent marker , to disguise the color diff ;

You could get some 'plumber's epoxy' - the kneadable type - and mold/shape/sand/shave it to the missing contours on your item .... then faux paint the repaired areas .

As to the value of 'it' , no pricing familiarity with this type of item .....
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 04:48:37 am »
on the very bottom of the base of it, there is one small chip. Does anyone know of a possible fix for something like this?

Being its a chip it needs to be filled back in to maintain the original contour.

A quick fix would be to use those "colored" wax sticks made especially for that purpose ....... and which you can buy at a local hardware or craft store, etc.