Author Topic: For the Coca Cola Collectors out there.....  (Read 1528 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
For the Coca Cola Collectors out there.....
« on: November 16, 2011, 08:21:46 pm »

KOVELS  November 2011
The prototype of the Coca-Cola bottle (Kovels Komments, June 8, 2011) is now getting pre-auction bids for a Dec. 3 sale at Julien's Auctions in Los Angeles. The original "Mae West" bottle designed by Earl Dean was made thinner in the middle so it wouldn't tip over. This bottle is being sold by the designer's grandchildren. Only two of the bottles exist, so don't be confused by a reproduction made in 1965. Repros are marked with the dates "1915-1965." Final price is anyone's guess (estimate: $10,000 to $20,000), so for the next few weeks see which of your collector friends can guess closest to the final price.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: For the Coca Cola Collectors out there.....
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 12:24:43 am »
I just read about that. I've never seen one of those bottles before. Never even heard of them  I love the shape. I just saw it in the Kovel's monthly.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 06:45:26 pm »
is that a glass bottle cap or am I missing something?? too cool!
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 07:41:03 pm »
is that a glass bottle cap or am I missing something?? too cool!

I believe that's a bottom view of the bottle.

(Here's some useless trivia:  In regard to the famous Coca Cola logo.  I read it was the Minnesota wildlife artist Les Kouba, that while working as a sign painter in the 1930's suggested the "forward slant" of the script be increased to provide more visual punch. It was approved by the company, and has remained that way ever since.)