Author Topic: Wine corks anyone?  (Read 2119 times)

pantrwrstl

• View Profile
Wine corks anyone?
« on: November 15, 2011, 03:38:17 pm »
Welp, I did something ridiculous. I was at an estate sale and saw an offer I couldn't refuse, and took home the hole lot...

After weighing them all out and crunching some numbers, I determined there are about 10,300 actual corks, about 100-150 Champagne corks, and another 100-150 of the plastic synthetic corks. If you were to drink one bottle of wine a night, and save the cork from it, it would take a little more than 29 years to amass this many. The red box in the foreground of the second picture has about 1,800 alone, tout the rest into context.

Now, onto a question...are there any valuable corks that may be hidden in here? The guy that sold me these said there were probably corks from the 60's that came from wine that was a couple hundred dollars a bottle. The earliest date I saw was 1971 and they ranged up until the mid 2000's, although I probably actually looked at less than 10% of them... So if anyone knows anything about older corks and can off some insight on them, or what i should do besides build something sweet or sell them off in lots please include your thoughts...

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Wine corks anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 05:49:26 pm »
Lord o' Mercy that is a whole lotta corks!! What on earth are you going to do with them? My mom put a bunch of them into a frame and made a very nice bulletin board. I think if I had to find a use for them I would get some toothpicks and start building an elaborate sculpture with them, like they do from popsicle sticks or Legos.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 05:54:02 pm »
no value that I know of, but you can always take them fishing! makes a nice bobber
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

pantrwrstl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 06:11:36 pm »
I have no idea what i'm going to do with them, I thought about packing then up and selling them in lots, there was a giant chair made of corks that looked interesting too...who knows, maybe I'll just hoard them until all the wineries stop using real cork and these become rare and sell them off then

mfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:46:53 pm »
I once saw a wine cellar that was lined with wine corks, it looked pretty cool.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 09:54:52 pm by snowflake »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 04:20:35 am »
Many people do make their own wine !! Probably would not be hard to find a market for them !!  A few people do collect the older ones so as you go through them, save the more interesting corks !!  Offhand, I would seriously think ebay !! Package in 10 or 20 corks per and see what they will do !! Crafters also use them !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 07:43:49 pm »
CORKS ARE IN....with the people on Pinterest!!!!

Pinterest is a new/upcoming site where people post things they like and everyone that is a member of Pinterest can copy or "like" them.  Lots of furniture makeovers, Do It Yourselfs, TUTORIALS, you name it....it is there.  AND there are lots of ideas what to do with corks!!!!  Corks are popular with the crafters.  You would do well selling them in lots for brewers and crafters!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!