Author Topic: oddware jug partial label  (Read 3131 times)

chonji

• View Profile
oddware jug partial label
« on: November 24, 2011, 12:07:48 pm »
Hi, I am scratching my head trying to decipher the name on the bottom of this jug, I can find no obvious referecne to it, and i will not post the names i have tried so as to avoid putting wrong idea in anyones head! It would be really useful if anybody could perhaps tell me what this glaze/ ware style is known as, and even better, just tell me what the manufacturer name probably is, its so frustrating as part of the name is worn away! I see that there is a handwritten note of 98 / 99. perhaps this means a limited edition, number 98 of 99? also there is the  the model number i suppose, 962, with a small 'm' or perhaps 'H' in the superscript.. Its a nice heavy piece and nobody knows where it came from or how we obtained it, so any advioce would be appreciated!

Many thanks.

EDIT:
needed to add the images...
please see attached...

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 12:22:03 pm by chonji »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: oddware jug partial label
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 12:47:33 pm »
    My first impression was it says Hills or Mills Studios but this did not lead to anything, the marks does not appear in my books.  If i was to see this on the shelf from a distant, I would say early to mid century American Art pottery.  This would be a conculsion without touching the item.  The bottom appears unglazed and would easily fit the early century era, but this is not always a rule.

chonji

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 01:21:42 pm »
Hey thanks for the info, some interesting ideas there, yes, the bottom is certainly unglazed and at the edges it shows a kind of 'toffee' drip effect here and there where the glaze has ran into the edge of the base, its a 'sweet'  little number, wish i knew where it came from ...into my hands that is, its been around for years, and the mind grows cloudy!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 04:57:23 pm »
This might be Hillstone pottery. Does this look like yours?
http://www.auctionflex.com/showlot.ap?co=1&weiid=3928449&lang=En

This isn't your jug but a better idea of the manufacturer stamp:
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/pottery-vase/91121009
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 06:18:35 pm by snowflake »

chonji

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 07:00:45 pm »
Haha, Thank you so much, snowflake, you are an absolute star, that IS my jug, I am so pleased to find out about it, thanks a lot... pity it couldnt have been 2500 but I am just releived to put my OCD to bed about the name at least!! Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 07:03:44 pm by chonji »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 07:08:33 pm »
Good work Snowflake !!!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 07:20:45 pm »
Glad to have helped!  ;D Loved that fractal thing you had up before.  :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 08:06:43 pm by snowflake »

chonji

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 07:35:59 pm »
haha, I had to revise that yes, thought i was going a bit leftfield for a 'newbie' on these pages.. shoulda left it now methinks,,, glad you liked it! hey I have another intruiging piece... (as if the last one wasn't intruiging enough..:->...)  Its a small Japanese pot... perhaps you could lend a hand...? I will post it up there  anyway...

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 10:20:13 pm »
Great job snowflake.. ;D

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 01:41:05 pm »
Thanks, Ironlord!  :)

chonji

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 02:13:47 pm »
Thansk to the help received I have the definitive description now and source for this type of ware,

Hillstonia, Moira pottery makers Staffordshire
please see below for reference:

Moira Pottery Company started doing business in Staffordshire, England in the period of the early 1920's and was known for this beautiful Hillstonia Pottery until they ceased doing business in the early 1970's. These lovely selections, although they are Pottery - bear an extraordinary resemblance to Wood. We love the many intricacies and fine details exhibited in their lovely finish. 
Our Hillstonia selections are in Very Good Vintage Condition. We have not found any chips, cracks or repairs. Just give them a gentle cleaning and they will soon be the newest and your most favorite Arts & Crafts addition to your beautiful Home. This is a fine Investment in a Handsome group of Hillstonia Pottery selections which is sure to not only maintain, but should very well continue increasing in value as more and more time goes by.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 07:27:54 pm »
So that is why I couldn't find anything on Hillstone it is Hillstonia.  :)