Author Topic: 1950's ceramic deer  (Read 1224 times)

farmnteeth

• View Profile
1950's ceramic deer
« on: August 28, 2004, 12:07:04 pm »
All growing up my mom had these long legged big eared skinny deer knick knacks with teeny pinecones at the base of their feet.  I got one at a flea market a few years back then found a vase that matched a couple years later.  The are brown, sort of art deco, and mom thinks dad found hers in the Black Hills around 1958.  (Dad does not remember :P ) They are each signed "gladys" on the bottom.  I would liek to find more but nothing shows up on my searches anywhere!!! Any ideas out there?

Thanks!  

kerrybee

• View Profile
1950's ceramic deer
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 09:52:19 pm »
First guess - a ladies class on ceramics BUT

second guess - I doubt there would be that many pieces spread over space and time -

There are ceramics that are called "Studio".  They represent that part of the art between talented (I say ladies) who decorate greenware, and the "biggies" like McCoy and the like.  

Value?  Well done animals, especially wild life, can range from $10.00 per piece to $25.00 per piece. And more.   Condition counts.  

Black Hills says Dakota's to me.  Perhaps google for -- ceramic art black hills-- and sometimes you just have to love the artist for what she did.  I personally wanted a ceramic horse - just for part of a decor I had in mind (my computer room, all Western and wildlife) - I could not find one I could afford - mostly because they went for  the "and more" price.  Best wishes, KB