Author Topic: Hand Carved Wood Lamp's Worth  (Read 1666 times)

penwright

• View Profile
Hand Carved Wood Lamp's Worth
« on: December 03, 2011, 03:14:21 pm »
I am wondering what this lamp may be worth. Also, is it an antique or newer-maybe retro? The pictures really don't show the actual color, which is dark brown. It is extremely heavy. The candle part, I think, was probably added later. I'm not even sure it was meant to be a lamp. The cord is the old style, nothing like the ones of today:I don't have a good picture of it.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/TheARtLady/Items%20for%20Sale/LampMiddle2-1.jpg
What you do today will determine your tomorrows.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Hand Carved Wood Lamp's Worth
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 07:10:08 pm »
How tall is each section ??  Wood base and the candle part ?? I am not sure that the candle part belongs with it either !!  I will do some looking tomorrow and see if I can find something similar !!

penwright

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 02:18:40 pm »
How tall is each section ??  Wood base and the candle part ?? I am not sure that the candle part belongs with it either !!  I will do some looking tomorrow and see if I can find something similar !!

The base to top is 19", and the candle part is 5". Thanks for trying to help me. I had it on craigslist for $50. I have a feeling it's worth a lot more than that.
What you do today will determine your tomorrows.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 07:22:46 pm »
Looking again it does appear that the candle part is the same as the base although it really looks odd as lamps go !!  From what I see it really doesn`t look like a hand carved lamp !!  Most all were machine done !! Even back to early 1900`s !! Does yours have a makers mark or factory label ?? Can you take some closer shots and also one of the cord and the bottom and post them here ?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 10:03:27 pm »
I am thinking the same thing, it looks too uniform to be hand carved, although it could be that we can't see it in these pictures. With hand carving you should see differences between the features that are repeated in the design. If it is all uniform and exactly the same from one feature to the next, it is very unlikely that it was made by hand.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 09:03:52 am »
The lamp socket and harp appear to be typical of something used within the last fifty years. Is the column one piece, or assembled from separate parts?