Author Topic: Pocket Watch  (Read 1114 times)

Athenry

• View Profile
Pocket Watch
« on: December 07, 2011, 09:04:25 pm »
This pocket watch was my great grandfather's, I believe he bought it before WWI, but he might have bought it when he was in France fighting or when he got back.

There aren't many identifying markers. Only 'Swiss Made' stamped on the inside. The number '22' on the inside of the casing, and the number '58830' below that. The thing that I love is that the inside is engraved with intricate patterns, arrows and stars mainly.

Here are some photos:

Any information would be great, thanks.

jondar

• View Profile
Re: Pocket Watch
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 07:20:52 am »
I think your watch is older than WW1 vintage.  Looking at the stem and ring I think it may be late 80's, 1890,s.
The movement appears to be a generic Swiss movement that were used in a variety of different watches of that size.  I notice on the movement there is a "F-S" usually meaning fast-slow but I can't see any lever to speed up or slow down the movement of the hands.  I looked for my old (repro) 1908 Sears Roebuck catalogue and remembered I had donated it to a church sale a few years ago.  If you have access to one of these catalogues you can probably find something like your watch.  My guess is that any value would be sentimental and probably not worth the cost a jeweler would charge to put it in working order probably over a hundred dollars.