Author Topic: Tortoise Tureen  (Read 928 times)

mx5girl

• View Profile
Tortoise Tureen
« on: December 10, 2011, 10:09:42 am »
I have a very large tortoise tureen.  I would like to know more about it as i cannot find another like it.
On the underside it says The Bombay Company.
Thanks.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Tortoise Tureen
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 10:20:50 am »
The Bombay Company has been around a while !!  It is a home decor/ import business that imports items like this from around the world for sale in the U.S. !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Tortoise Tureen
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 01:53:28 pm »
The Bombay Company was started in 1978 in New Orleans as a mail order company.  Tandy Corporation (Radio Shack - based by me in Fort Worth) purchased it in 1980 and operated retail stores in malls/outlets until 2007 when it filed bankruptcy in US Court and closed all US stores in 2008.  They still operate in Canada AND you can still purchase items internet or QVC.

Word of caution!  SO many items that were sold by Bombay were DECORATIVE only!  Being imported they didn't have to adhere to US requirements on "food-safe" but Bombay WOULD have them marked (could have been tags that have long disappeared) accordingly that they were not food safe or were "for decorative purposes only".  (lead content). 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!