Author Topic: Unknown Halltree  (Read 1797 times)

vroomp

• View Profile
Unknown Halltree
« on: December 11, 2011, 11:05:42 am »
I have searched several books and website for sale items that match but, have been unable to locate a similar hall tree. I am redecorating in a more modern style and no longer need any antiques so I would like to sell this one. I was told by the previous owner that was over 100 years old when I got it in trade back in 1990. All the screws are flat head brass on the back and appear to be of the period. The wood is oak and the hooks are cast iron. The umbrella pans are galvanized tin and the center section is a glove box with a hinged lid. There are no markings or labels on this piece and I was wondering what would be a good asking price for such an item. Any ideas?

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 12:31:04 pm by vroomp »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Unknown Halltree
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 04:32:23 pm »
Since hall trees were stand alone pieces its difficult to designate a style to them !! It was usually up to whatever the cabinetmaker wanted to do rather than going by the style that was popular.  Did the previous owner say how they acquired it ?? I would say that it is English and was likely a piece brought here back in the 70`s when they were bringing these in by shiploads !! That was when they were selling really well !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 08:27:58 pm »
Kinda hard to tell from your pictures, but it appears as if this could be an early 1900's English with barley twist  legs.  I am very interested in what the designs/piece is at the very top of the piece.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 05:31:01 am »
I believe that is a small light KC, similar to those used with artwork !! It was possibly added later !  I forgot about value that the member asked for but if in good condition around $150 to $200 here !! But they are not an easy sell !! Most houses just have no where to use them !!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 07:50:45 am »
I agree with the others! I would say it was made around 1910-1915. I don't think it was made in the 1890s. I would say about $150 in my area. The bigger ones with a seat to sit on are a bit more popular and worth a bit more but still a hard sell. I like it, good luck with selling! It would be great if you could give us an update about how much you sell it for, it helps us keep up on trends and values!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 11:33:37 am »
If this is a light and it is original then it could bump the value up some....the light could have markings on it as to manufacturer.

Regular hall trees sell for $80 to $120 my neck-of-the-woods.  But if there is something unique....could bump it up more.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 01:57:09 pm »
Agree,, Its worth checking to see if there is a name on it !!

vroomp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 08:08:03 am »
Thanks folks! I actually added the light but, it comes off easily leaving only one hole in he back. Think I'll put it on Craigslist for $150 and see what happens.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 12:33:55 pm »
Don`t forget to let us know about your sale results !! Sometimes your location will make a difference in selling price !! What sells here in Texas where homes are fairly large may not do as well in a metro area with more apartments and less space !! Your asking price is about right but be prepared to deal !!