Author Topic: tiger eye maple dresser and box Part II (no motos)  (Read 10600 times)

zoltan

• View Profile
Re: tiger eye maple dresser and box Part II (no motos)
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 12:46:53 pm »
more

zoltan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 12:47:44 pm »
more

zoltan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 12:48:36 pm »
more

zoltan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 12:49:34 pm »
more

zoltan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 01:35:34 pm »
sorry for the poor quality phone pictures.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 02:33:09 pm »
These are really difficult. The paneled end is indicative of later 19th century pieces as is the use of tiger maple. Federal Revival pieces were popular in the 20s but generally were big clunky mahogany veneered pieces. My feeling is that this is a transitional piece from the second half of 19th century judging from the dovetailing, the veneer used and the shot of the back construction 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 07:43:01 am »
“Looks like” ….. Federal, Empire or transitional “style” …… makes no difference, the majority of all “no-name” cabinetmakers made furniture to suit their “taste” or the “taste” of the person they were making it for. 

The wife’s grandfather was a “no-name” cabinetmakers, furnituremaker, casketmaker, etc., who cut his own timber, sawed his own lumber and produced “requested” items for his customers for many, many years ……. and I don’t think he gave a “hoot” about copying or conforming exactly to any “style” of any particular period like those “noted” cabinetmakers who produced items “for sale” to the mass market.

Now Zoltan’s chest-of-drawers is a pretty thing but it looks to me like it was recently refinished. The larger ”top” drawer protruding out farther than the lower drawers, the “keyholes” and the 4-quarter drawer fronts are “clues” to its age of construction. And the use of three (3) different boards between the two upper drawers makes me think it is “one-of-a-kind”. As does the  3-quarter top board that looks like it might be cherry.

But the one (1) thing that really bothers me about it being an “original” period piece is that it has “no legs”.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 10:08:55 am »
Took forever to see the pics on this one !!  I have to agree with Cogar on this one !!  This cabinetmaker did his own thing !! I would be interested to know if it ever had legs ?? Have you looked ??  What is the height ??

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 10:14:27 am »
I was looking at the legs on the wrong picture. It looks as though this piece was modernized by having the legs removed and possibly the knobs replaced

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 05:06:13 pm »
When I was looking for pics of chairs for Frogpatch I found a console table very similar to these pieces, only it was made of birdseye maple !!  Try an image search for "hard rock maple tables' and see if it comes up !! I was using "chairs"  but you never know  !! It was very similar to your style,, with the blending of light and dark wood !!

zoltan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2014, 10:41:43 am »
   Hi folks, I'm back with a few more questions.  It seems that this "one off" piece has turned into a "two off" piece!  I found the dressers long lost twin at a local antique store!  It is in fine shape with what I believe to be the original top that my piece is missing, and it also has legs, but they look a little out of character.  Everything else is identical to the one that I have.
[/img]
[img][/img]
[/img]
[/img]

I would love to buy it and have a set, but they are asking $2400 which is a little steep for me right now.  Does that price sound about right, and would they be of more value as a sort of mis-matched set?

zoltan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2014, 10:43:21 am »
more
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 10:46:48 am by zoltan »

zoltan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2014, 10:47:33 am »
more

zoltan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2014, 10:48:16 am »
legs

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2014, 12:37:16 pm »
Wow, I never noticed that you don't have some type of feet on your piece!  Did you ever turn it over and see if there are indications (holes/glue,etc) that something is missing?

By-the-way...they are overpriced in my humble opinion! Beautiful piece tho'!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!