Author Topic: Norcrest Cactus Shakers. Rare?  (Read 1654 times)

wolfhouse

• View Profile
    • Wolfhouse Vintage
Norcrest Cactus Shakers. Rare?
« on: December 20, 2011, 12:09:52 am »
These are so pretty! But I cannot find them ANYWHERE.  Are they rare?

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Norcrest Cactus Shakers. Rare?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 06:21:30 am »
Although these are cute   :)  they are not what would be considered RARE they were made by the thousands and hold a value of about $10.00 on a really good day. Shakers that hold high value & are RARE would be Victorian sets like this one
http://www.bargainjohn.com/g215bMtWashington.htm

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 09:33:06 pm »
I hate to disagree. First of all there are a tremendous amount of collectors out there who look for these Japanese dime store items and if you got the right bidders on eBay you may be surprised by 25.00 or more because they are different than most that are matched or have that little sleeping Mexican guy.
 Even though Mr Mason of mason jar fame invented a salt shaker in 1853 it did not work because salt would not flow. Salt cellars were used until the 20th century. The concept of Victorian Salt and Pepper shakers is limited to cellars and grinders. The salt shaker was not used on tables until Morton added silicon to salt so it would flow 50 years after Mr Mason first put holes in a jar. Salt shakers accompanied by pepper shakers were not really popular until the 1920s. There are many early 20th century examples that do command high prices as do some depression glass pairs. I personally have sold Japanese novelty pairs and have received as high as 50 dollars for an unusual pair of Black Americana.  Yours would appeal to a western collector as well as Japanese novelty collector.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:50:05 pm by frogpatch »

wolfhouse

• View Profile
    • Wolfhouse Vintage
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 10:55:50 pm »
Wow thanks for the help frogpatch! I think that I'll list for $20 and see if they sell. Also I sell on Etsy so I can get a little bit more than on other sites like ebay. But thanks for the cool little history bit there!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 07:12:15 am »
A blue Royal Lace footed shaker will put a slight dent in your checkbook.

But now any pink Mayfair Open Rose footed shakers, ….. iffen you can find one, ….. will take a BIG, BIG bite outta your checkbook.   ;D ;D ;D

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 07:21:12 am »
Although the market has changed substantially over the past few years, I've seen some unusual Rosemeade Pottery S/P sets sell in the several hundred dollar range.