Author Topic: Black Queen Victoria Hands  (Read 1100 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Black Queen Victoria Hands
« on: December 20, 2011, 08:12:28 pm »
I recently picked up this pair of Queen Victoria Hands that sometimes were used as card trays, soap dishes, candy trays, etc...

This one is is black when looked at under normal light conditions indoors or outdoors unless it's illuminated from behind with a light source such as a bright light bulb or the sun. When it's illuminated from behind it's a very nice shade of purple (The color of royalty). The sets of images below don't depict the color as you do when see it first hand because of the camera flash and combination of the light sources I tried to use to take the pictures (Torch Lamp) although I did the best I could with the quality of the camera I have.

The first set of images should represent the piece with more of a shinny solid black glass look and the second set more of a purple look not deep blue. Anyways, the hands are about 5 1/4 inches wide and 7 inches tall. The hands have no identifying or makers marks. They seem to be layered or multi-coated glass with purple or grape colored glass layered over pink glass. The edges of the fingers and base seem to have a pink glass inseam.

I've searched the internet and can't find a black pair or a black pair that illuminates purple with a background light. I have seen a lot of other colors from Avon, Westmoreland and other unidentified pieces. The prices seem to range from about $5 for the ones from Avon, about $20 for Westmoreland and around $40 for old 19th Century ceramic ones.

Has anyone seen any Queen Victoria Hands like the ones I have or could venture a value or maker of them?

Thanks,
Kevin

" width="730" height=920"" border="0

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Black Queen Victoria Hands
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 09:09:18 pm »
Black glass often illuminates in purple and is often referred to as black amethyst glass. There are quite a few collectors out there. I sold several pieces on eBay a few years ago but never any hands. Those are really nice but you will have to wait until  someone comes along that can tell you more.

KevinM

• View Profile
Re: Black Queen Victoria Hands
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 10:55:06 pm »
Thanks for the information frogpatch, I wasn't aware that black glass often illuminates in purple and is often referred to as black amethyst glass.