Author Topic: Vintage American or Canadian Advertising? Hatchet & Gimlet Hardware Store  (Read 1634 times)

chonji

• View Profile
I Think my Mum has bought an 'advertising crock' It is a strange piece, very light, 9" high straight sided pot with a deliberately crazed glaze both iside and out, it is printed with an advertisement for a toy shop reading 'Hobby Horses, bats balls, jumping jacks..." I forget the rest but other toys are mentioned, print is in blue pot is pale cream, i cant upload phots at moment but i believe it to be North Americas (advert) and some research has shown this advert print to be relatedd to 'Hatchet & Gimlet's Fashionable Hardware store" can anybody shed any light on this type of item or history, collectible etc?

Cheers ears.

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Vintage American or Canadian Advertising? Hatchet & Gimlet Hardware Store
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 03:36:18 am »
Retailers would order stoneware from the pottery with the retailer's name, etc., on the them ..... as a means of advertising their business.

Like this one ............. the pottery was in Indiana and the business was in Tenn.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 03:39:31 am by cogar »

chonji

• View Profile
Re: Vintage American or Canadian Advertising? Hatchet & Gimlet Hardware Store
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 03:25:22 pm »
Retailers would order stoneware from the pottery with the retailer's name, etc., on the them ..... as a means of advertising their business.

Hey thansk, thats some useful insight, i wish i could find something out about the actual store itself too. Fleiz navidad, prospero aņo y felicidad!

All the best, merry christmas.