Author Topic: Bronze Statuette?  (Read 2224 times)

arklite

• View Profile
Bronze Statuette?
« on: December 26, 2011, 01:08:15 am »
Hi everyone!

This is my first post here, but it was suggested that I pose a question as to the origins of this statue that I was given.

I very much like the work, and wouldn't mind finding out if more was done by the artist.

It is possibly bronze, about 8-10 inches in height, and mounted on a green marble-like base. I believe the bird is some species of Heron.

There is a signature present, which appears to be the initials KLX or KLH, and a "36/100" mark.

Any assistance would be appreciated, as my Google-fu has failed me in this instance.

Here are the photos;

mart

• View Profile
Re: Bronze Statuette?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 01:23:11 pm »
The 36/100 would indicate that this was the 36th one from a run of 100 total !! Are you in the USA ?? When searching it helps to know where to look !!

arklite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 01:35:05 pm »
Midwestern United States, Wisconsin specifically.

Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 02:03:44 pm »
Forgot to say,, Welcome to the group btw !!  Is this statue one that you purchased and if so where did you buy it ?? I found one on ebay that looked similar but different pose so I emailed the seller and asked if it was marked !!  Waiting to hear back on that !!  In fact he had several shore/wading bird bronzes !!  Have found nothing similar to those initials yet !!  Look and see if there is any other possibility on the letters !!

arklite

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 04:03:14 pm »
Thanks for the welcome, and the assistance!

I was given these statues by a friend. They had belonged to her Great-Aunt, a lover of animals, and a supporter of many conservation efforts.

I say statues, because I was also given a "26/100" statue of two Hummingbirds with flowers. The signature is much more legible on that piece, and is clearly "KLH".

I would imagine this was a series done by an artist, but I'd just like to know who/when it was done. They're both very nice pieces, and I wouldn't mind finding others! I'll post photos of the Hummingbirds this evening.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 05:17:36 pm by arklite »

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 04:46:33 pm »
I'm not familiar with KLH, but the 36/100 is not always indicative of 100 total pieces produced. I know artists that only produce bronzes based on sales, so even though the edition might be limited to 100, actual production could be considerably less.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 06:48:51 pm »
That info is helpful !!  I would talk to your friend and see if she or he knows what groups she supported !!  Many times these groups used lesser known artists to produce items like this to sell and support their particular cause !!  Might track the artist by researching the conservation group !!  I have looked for sculptors in the USA with those initials and still hit nothing !!  Will look at the main list tomorrow !! It goes by the artists birthday so it  may take a while !! Problem with searching items like this is unless the artist has a following and has sold a few pieces they are usually not listed !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 06:58:39 pm »
Came up with no clues also    Try contacting these folks maybe they can help!!!
http://www.bronze-gallery.com/index.cfm

Keep us posted  :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 07:28:27 pm »
Checked one other thing this evening and hit on this one KL Heagen, a California artist !!  She does work in bronze although only one is on her website as a commission piece !!  But it wouldn`t hurt to send an email to her at klheagen@yahoo.com and see if she is the artist. If not she might know who is !! Her site didn`t show signature so I couldn`t check that !!  Its really rare that only initials were used on your bronze since most artists want people to know their name to build a reputation !!