Author Topic: are these items dresden  (Read 2604 times)

sugarcube

• View Profile
are these items dresden
« on: December 27, 2011, 11:15:47 am »
hello all

I received these from my great aunt and tho I think they are dresden I can't find a mark that matches, I am not sure that the animals are from the same maker as they just say japan on the bottom, and look nice with the couple.

When I see these types of figurines they are usually attached but these have their own thrones

Very light and delicate, any info is appreciated, I suspect they are older

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: are these items dresden
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 12:55:43 pm »
    It does not appear to be a Dresden mark, or at least what I have seen, I thumb though my first book and did not find that mark, I will look through a couple more books and see.  But just looking at the quality of these figurine, they don't seem to be up to par with the typical Dresden look.  This is just my opinion when looking at the images.

sugarcube

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 01:00:22 pm »
thanks for your response, I appreciate you trying

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 05:18:45 pm »
They appear to be Japanese figurines that were typical of those classical types sold in the 50s. They often had foil label that came off.

sugarcube

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 05:21:09 pm »
thanks for your ideas-do you think they are knock offs from dresden or have any value of their own?

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 10:48:13 am »
They have decorative values as figurines. They look like Dresden but if you look at the faces they seem to have Asian eye shapes. They also look like a lot of Staffordshire figures. Old Dresden figurines are very rare and very valuable and the wok in the is exquisite. The most famous are those from the Meissen factory. They are usually marked with crossed swords. That mark was copied all over the world for one hundred years of more. A trip to a museum will enlighten you as to the look of those figurines. I do not know where you live but if you get to New York there examples of all the fine porcelain on display at the MMA.

sugarcube

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 12:53:38 pm »
You know I never could put my finger on how they seem "off" from dresden, but when you said they have a look of asian to them, the other man thought they looked japanese too, I have to think you are both onto something.

But trying to find the marking for japanese is daunting, and most of them seem square or writing, the few round markings had some type of writing with them and this is simply a mark.

I will continue to look and appreciate the help

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 09:18:34 am »
Note that the "mark" part is here actually tilted 90 degrees clockwise in comparison to the 'HAND PAINTED'. If you turn the picture 90 degrees counter-clockwise, you can easily recognize 'L.D'.

These items normally carry the typical small rectangular sticker in red or blue (with gold or silver border) stating 'MADE IN JAPAN'. The manufacturer which used that mark is often - and probably incorrectly - referred to as 'LDPCo' as that is the only "name" claimed to have appeared in context of deliveries. They were one of the numerous nameless companies that actually supplied US distributors like Arnart, Ardalt and HomCo with cheap, custom-marked figures in the period between the end of WW2 and the 1970s.