Author Topic: Brass Knife (possibly greek)  (Read 2414 times)

Sanderson

• View Profile
Brass Knife (possibly greek)
« on: December 28, 2011, 05:41:22 pm »
I received this knife from my Aunt about 15 years back when her husband passed away.  Her husband's family was of Greek origin and they decorated their home with Greek type decorations.  I don't know if this is true about this knife or whether it is an antique at all, but if you have any information on this knife I would appreciate the help or where I might find information.  Thanks for any help!!!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Brass Knife (possibly greek)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 06:29:12 pm »
   I do notice the double Eagle on the top of the hilt, Don't think the greeks used this, but I does has Greek key sort of design on it also.  
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 06:31:37 pm by ironlord1963 »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 07:54:18 am »
Don't know if these little snippets offer any insight.  Still checking around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-headed_eagle

"Its usage also survived as a decorative element in the Greek Orthodox Church, which was the inheritor of the Byzantine legacy during the Ottoman Empire, while it remained a popular symbol among Greeks and is still in use in Church flags. In modern Greece it is used officially by the Hellenic Army (Coat of Arms of Hellenic Army General Staff). It was also used as a charge on the Greek coat of arms for a brief period in 1925–1926.[5]

http://www.ubique.org/Webfans/pfau/epfau.htm

"In Greece, peacocks were the holy birds of Hera - Juno (goddess of home and marriage). They were shown for the first time at the temples of Hera in Samos. Greek mythology (with some variations) and Ovid's Metamorphoses explain the peacock's "eyes" on his tail feathers as follows: Hera-Juno, jealous of Io who was transformed into a white heifer by Zeus, ordered thousand-eyed Argus to watch over Io. Hermes, sent by Zeus to free Io, decapitates Argus. Juno collects all his eyes and applies them to her beloved birds, the peacocks."

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 08:47:40 am »
I think from photos available its both and antique and a decorative/ceremonial item, not intended for use as a weapon.  A great heirloom!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 09:26:29 pm »
Cool littles item(s) , Sanderson .

I'm with Texasbadger , concerning it's intended use .... and agree with the (appears to be) Greek origin .

Knowing if the colorful decorative components have been made as in cloisonne/glazing  (glass) method , or as in enamel (paint , baked or otherwise) would be of some help dating the knife/scabbard &/or adding/subtracting from its' value (IMO) .

Would be an O.K. display in a shadow-box , maybe ?
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Sanderson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 10:25:48 pm »
Thanks for all your help! The links to the double-headed eagle reference to the Greek Orthodox Church and the link to the peacock also makes me believe it is a Greek piece.  As far as the intended use, I agree is it purely decorative.  The colorful components are more transparent which would lead me to believe a glazing rather than enamel.  Is there a way to tell for sure? 
After looking into the metal the knife is made of, I am now considering it to be bronze rather than brass. It is quite heavy for the size, and feels rather strong.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 11:19:23 pm »
Have you checked the blade & scabbard with a magnet , Sanderson ?

Maybe it's my old eyes , or a reflection , but the blade on your item almost looks as if it had been plated (silverish-looking color(?) near the end of it) ...???

Was also thinking that perhaps it may be a Argyrobounialaki , or a replica of one (Cretan 'wedding dagger') .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Sanderson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 12:59:43 pm »
I checked the knife and scabbard with a magnet, which shows it is non-magnetic.  Any ideas of where I could take this in Utah to get more information on it?  I looked for markings all over it, but could not find any.  For all I know it may be a replica, but would like to find out for sure.  My searches have not turned up anything.  I did some searching for wedding daggers, and there were some daggers that had a similar look to it.  Thanks for all the help!