Author Topic: Travellers Metal Tea Set?  (Read 1827 times)

2Stroke

Travellers Metal Tea Set?
« on: December 29, 2011, 11:46:23 pm »
Hello all,
I found something recently at a thrift store that looked interesting but rather puzzling as well.  I'm hoping with my description and photos you may help me sort out what exactly I have.

I have a metal canister, tightly capped that is about 7 inches tall, two inches in diameter and has 'made in germany' stamped on the bottom of all included pieces except the 'strainer'.  It has a single band of 'stamped' design about 1.5 inches from the bottom of the canister.

Removing the lid of the main canister reveals a perforated lid..perhaps a strainer. The inside of the main lid, and the insides of the main canister, the small canister and lid, the two cups and the underside of the strainer are a golden color..not chrome color like the exterior of all the pieces.

The perforated lid has four small 'rivets' visible from the top of the lid..

Removing the perforated lid and turning it upside down reveals two copper or brass colored tube arches, one over the other.

Inside the canister are two 'shot' glasses. One is slightly smaller to fit nicely inside the larger one. Once both are removed from the main canister, another smaller canister is found.  It too has a tightly fitting lid.

I am guessing that this is some sort of travellers tea set.  The small canister holds your tea, the two shot glasses (about an ounce and a half each) for drinking tea, and the main canister along with the strainer for steeping/pouring your tea from.

This all makes sense to my mind..the only thing I question is the reason for the two tubular arches.  What are these for?

If not for tea, could this be some kind of miniature martini shaker?  Again, arches for what purpose though?

Please look at the photo(s) and weigh in with your best guesses or answers!
Thanks a lot!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Travellers Metal Tea Set?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:56:02 am »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 01:59:27 am »
It's a cocktail shaker, the raised arches is a lemon reamer.  I have seen these as part of a high end auto picnic set.

2Stroke

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 11:22:03 am »
A big thanks, KC and mfrog!
That makes sense (a shaker).

What would you think is the purpose of the small canister? Would it hold lemons? Ice cubes or mint leaves?

mfrog: in regards to the high end auto picnic set..have you seen that associated with MBenz, BMW or ?

Thanks again for the insight!

mfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 12:44:29 pm »
I'm not sure how they work for sure, I've only had a couple of them & never used them, but I wonder if it's just a sealed container for extras that you would want to take along.  These were in picnic sets from the late teens to the thirties & fourties, cars like Bugatti's, MG's etc, with a luggage rack on the "boot" 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 05:45:38 pm »
Very nice little deco cocktail set !!  Definitely not for tea !!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 08:54:42 pm »
They typically have a shaker, cups, juicer, strainer, container to hold lemons/limes or olives/cherries and or salt.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!