Author Topic: Large Key looking object  (Read 2070 times)

medrise

• View Profile
Large Key looking object
« on: December 30, 2011, 10:54:55 am »
I have this object that I'm not sure what it is. It was left from one of our family members.

Also on the compartment that you open there is a name:

Deposee (2.915)
ALEXIS DAVID, GRAVEUR
* PARIS *

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:56:55 am by medrise »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Large Key looking object
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 11:24:50 am »
It appears to be a ladies compact, if that is a mirror that I am seeing in there. Hard shell silver coin purses with similar interiors were popular in the early 1900's. But I have never seen one in the shape of a key! This will definitely require more research, what a neat piece!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

medrise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 11:41:55 am »
Photo 2 where you see that it opens... has an engrave in the box on the left has IIII and a Number 1. The box on the right has IIII and a Number 2.

On the inside of the cover it has a IV (roman number engraved).

There is no mirror on the piece... it was left from the Sloat Family in New Jersey.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 11:46:48 am »
A little more info for you. Alexis David was an engraver in Paris. (Graveur translates as "Engraver"). I found a reference to him being involved with a benefit, apparently he produced some kind of illustrations for this festival. See number 104 on page 308. It's all in French and the online translators don't seem to be able to do much with it, but you can get the general idea of what was going on. Here it is in French:

Palais du Trocadero. Grand festival au profit des victimes de Kieff Elisabethgrad, Odessa, etc., sous le haut patronage de Madame la baronne douairiere James de Rothschild, mardi, 14 juin 1881, organise par le journal Le Gaulis avec le concours de ses confreres de la presse parisienne. Paris, Alex David, graveur; imp. Motteroz; 2 feuilles in-f en impression de luxe avec illustrations

Source document:
http://books.google.com/books?id=yXMpAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA308&lpg=PA308&dq=%22alexis+david+graveur%22+paris&source=bl&ots=9fVuE2S0E5&sig=B0VrGpYgCyxASyKpjeB8hKJcPA4&hl=en#v=onepage&q=alexis%20david%20graveur&f=false

It looks like you have some kind of very special presentation piece to me!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 09:42:04 pm »
Can you please post the dimensions....overa ll length of key n width (including box) and then the dimension of the box Lxwxh.

On he lid in the middle...does that piece move in the slotted area into an upright position.  Is the interior hollow as to hold an object?

I get the feeling it is a desk piece...writing accessory.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 11:33:09 pm »
My first impression is that this item (looks like silver ... is it ?) is related to powdered substances (non-tobacco , that is) and at one time held a matching hollow silver 'straw/catheter' hidden in the main shaft of the 'key' .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 01:08:27 am »
fancypants, unforunately in the late 18thC and early 19thC opium use was widespread in France....and the elite did have their usage of it.

This is a possibility....but the elite didn't register/patent items for opium use that I am aware of! Pluse there would be a spoon/pick/and/or lamp. Depose means registered.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 01:17:53 pm »
I was thinking along the lines (no pun intended , I think) of a 'covert/stash' container for cocaine , which had also gained some popularity , esp in France .
It is known that some 'upper-class' folks would keep the 'new' drug around to 'spice-up' alcoholic drinks &/or to make their own version of "Vin Ariani".

There was a time that cocaine was considered as a treatment for opium addiction (late 1800's thru early 1900's) ; I've seen a silver 'stash' container about 4 inches tall , from 1890's (French) , that was a depiction of a 'devil' with a hollow interior & a small 'straw' inside , with a screw-off base - obviously for concealment .... don't recall if there were hallmarks & etc. on it .

I'm really unsure of exactly what the OP has there , other than the feeling that this item was used as a covert/concealment container for small 'things' ... even as a pill-box for containing treatment 'medications' that the owner would not like others to know about , as in V.D. & such .

Sayings spring to mind (mine , anyways) such as : key(s) to -health , happiness , success , understanding , the city & so on .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 02:11:20 am »
If it's hollow in the inside, I would imagine that it can hold a cigarette or two. It does appear to be a makeup compact. A women's traveling makeup compact with hidden compartment for a vice perhaps.

;)
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...