Author Topic: Chainmail purse, beer signs, avon perfume, sewing machines, lots of stuff, help  (Read 3292 times)

djrsxs

• View Profile
Ok so I went up in my grandma's attic and I found many things, I've looked up some of it, but really not sure of value or collectibles. Just looking for some opinions on these items, values, if they are something I should keep or just try and get rid of. There are lots of pictures, and they're big. 5mb a piece. I figured the higher quality pictures would be better so you can see more detail. She told me that all of the perfume bottles were from Avon, however I've tried to search them and there are SO many that I couldn't really single them out.

There were 2 purses, my camera died so I took them with my phone, but they were very strange and old looking so I took pictures anyways. I only took pictures of 1 of them, I looked it up and saw that there are others out there, but I've never seen anything like it.

A retro looking lamp

This was a sewing machine cabinet, it has the actual machine inside of it and it raises out of the top, not sure of the manufacturer as I couldn't find any markings on it in the brief time that I looked.

I'm not sure what this thing is....any help would be appreciated...

Some type of bells, again not sure of what they are or what they are used for

Some old irons

A vase?

Not sure what this is, looks like some type of horn...

Cow bells, I'm assuming...

A rug beater and what I think is a milk bucket thing?

These are all of the Avon bottles (At least that's what my grandma told me they were, she said the majority of them were Avon perfumes and colognes)

An old butter churning jar?

These are all old books that I saw in a bookshelf, again not sure of anything about them...

What looks like to be a moonshine jug or wine jug?

A bottle that has a woven cover

Old glasses/jars/vases

A type of old baby chair?

An old cash register

Some type of frogs?

These are some pictures, clocks, and frames, some of the frames are metal, some wooden. Not sure of the pictures or who they are by...

A Jaromir Jagr signed picture

An old guitar, it's obviously been used

And here are all the beer signs, my grandma owned a bar, and I only uncovered a few signs, there were many more but my camera died and her attic was too dark to look through the rest while getting good enough pictures.

ok that's it, I know it's a lot of stuff, but if anybody can provide any information about these items, if they are collectibles, the values, what they were used for, what they are, it would be very much appreciated as I would love to know about all of these things. Thanks in advance.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
   So much stuff this will be hard to make enough comments to even start to cover all this.  But let me post a couple of things I notice.  First the Avon bottle, well for the most part you will be hard pressed to give these away, some of the really cool one In their original box will get you $5.00 to $10.00.  The purse in the first pics, I think would be worth looking into for sure.  I did notice a green plate in the cabinet, this could possible be Vaseline Depression glass, but would have to see the pattern,  Really like the vase, but would have to know if there is any marks, could be a nice italian vase.  I see some Hooiser Vase, not worth much but kinda cool. but once again, we would have to pick a couple of the items and work our way through this, too much in one post to pick apart.

djrsxs

• View Profile
Thanks for the information!

Some of the Avon bottles are very cool, little cars, hammers, all kinds of things. Why don't they do this with the current perfumes?! I can get you higher resolution pictures if you want as photobucket resized them. The original pictures are huge. I can also take pictures from every angle on any item that you're interested in if you would like. She immigrated here from Czechoslovakia back when she was a child so I'm sure it's possible that the vase is European.
A vaseline depression glass? What is that exactly? What were they used for if you know?

Thanks for the reply though, I'm looking for any kind of information I can get on these items.

wendy177

• View Profile
Way lot for one post but the purse is what is called a mesh purse, the frame will need to be checked for makers mark closely. Two well known makers of these purses were Mandalian manufacturing co. and Whiting & Davis   both companies marked their pieces clearly. would nee to determin a maker for value.

djrsxs

• View Profile
I know, I'm sorry for so much in one post but I figured just to put it all in one place instead of having 50 threads with 1 item. I will go tomorrow and take higher quality pictures and also pictures of the other purse as well, and look for a manufacturer name on them. If there is anything else anybody wants me to get better pictures of, let me know and I can take them tomorrow instead of going back and forth.

wolfhouse

• View Profile
    • Wolfhouse Vintage
http://www.etsy.com/search/vintage?search_submit=&q=avon+bottle&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US

Check here. Hopefully this helps. Avon bottles, when nicely photographed, can go for a little bit more on Etsy than other sites, such as eBay. This is a good collection to get an Etsy vintage shop going :)

Rauville

• View Profile
Wow...lots of neat things. I see a purse that might be German Silver (often marked G. Silver), an aluminum tea strainer, brass(?) sleigh bells, charcoal irons, brass auto horn (later imports will be marked: India), pair of Van Tellingen hugger S/P, pink Windsor cake plate, etc. That's a nice looking sectional bookcase that the china and glass pieces are displayed in. The pink baby chair appears to have been a high chair that has been cut down to a youth size chair.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
    The plate behind the little Avon Gas pump, Is what I think may be vaseline Glass.  Vaseline glass is usually a Clear green sometimes a Yellow, it will glow under Blacklight because they added Uranium to the glass.  If it is possible maybe a good shot of this may determine if it is and maybe we can find the pattern.  Vaseline glass is pretty collectible, but usually not worth a whole bunch, $10.00 to 20.00.   Yes Avon Bottle are pretty cool, I personally just saved a bunch from being thrown out at work today (Goodwill), they was about to throw then in the hazmat bin, crazy huh, well I talked to them and let me post them online, not sure what we will get for them, but this is a test to see how valueable they are.  Basically they have a hard time selling them, because they get so many, and have had them get busted on the floor, so they don't even want to deal with them.  They are cool but personally they can really stink up the place if they get broke.  :P 

djrsxs

• View Profile
Wow, thanks for all the information about everything guys and gals! This is very interesting! Glassware that will glow under a blacklight because URANIUM (the same thing as bombs) are mixed into it, chainmail purses that could be made in Germany? Avon bottles that are somewhat valuable? Windsor cake plates? Hoosier vases?

I saw many plates and signs and other things that were wrapped but I didn't take pictures because my camera died, I will take more tomorrow when I go to talk to her and tell her that some of her things might have value to them afterall. I'm going to show her what you guys said about her things and how they could have some value to them, because she just told me that "it's just junk I stored, take whatever you want". I plan on selling them if I can and I want to give her all the money that she makes to show her that it's not junk at all but rather desirable to some people.  I don't know what she wants to keep and what she would like to sell.

cogar

• View Profile
djrxsx, I’m estimating the purses, the harness/sleigh bells, the butter churn and the car horn should sell in total …. in the $200+ range.

Some of those picture frames are worth $30 to $50+ each. 

The oak stacked bookcase …..  $500+, depending on condition.

But I think your big money is going to be in all that Beer Advertising ….. as long as you don’t sell it in one fell swoop.