Author Topic: Small silver figures on walking stick  (Read 6256 times)

Falcon55

• View Profile
Small silver figures on walking stick
« on: January 01, 2012, 09:57:56 am »
I wonder if anyone has seen figures like this before. I would like to know something about them. They are quite small, just about 3 cm tall but have lovely details. I havenīt found any makerīs marks or any stamps.

Thank you!

Falcon
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 10:45:40 am by Falcon55 »

Falcon55

• View Profile
Re: Small silver figures on walking stick
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:44:13 am »
Hereīs a detail of the "pipe guy".

Would you recommend to try to polish the figures or leave them how they are? Iīm new in silver collecting so I donīt know if there are some doīs and dontīs...

Thanks,

Falcon

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 12:11:03 pm »
I have never seen anything like them but I am not a silver person !!  This will bump it up so maybe some of the others can help !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 02:55:45 pm »
I keep looking at these and I think what bothers me is that the antique walking sticks I have seen, generally incorporate the figure on top into a smooth, comfortably held surface. It would be impossible to hold the top of these and they would have to be held by the neck, which is awkward, unless they were extremely tall. Have you walked with one and tried it out? I am wondering if these are not actually antque, but more Victorian styled collectors items. Also the hammered bands do not look like antiques to me. Anyone else have thoughts about that? Is this just me?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Falcon55

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 03:58:19 pm »
Hi talesofthesevenseas,

the sticks are quite thin, only about 8mm in diameter on the thickest area on top so they canīt actually assist you on walking, itīs more kind of a "dandy stick" to wave around. They are also quite long, Iīm 180 cm and the stick goes well up to my hip. They have interchangeable tips on the bottom side.

The craftmanship is really quite beautiful - here are images of the small "conquistador":

I found them at an antique market in Hungary so maybe they are Austrian or German made. They really have an "old" feel to them but Iīm not a silver expert.

Thank you very much!

Falcon55

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 04:07:21 pm »
Hereīs the horse for comparison:

These are really small - this is the biggest figure and also only 3 cm from tip of the snout to the end of the tail.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 04:12:28 pm by Falcon55 »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 05:08:25 pm »
Agree Falcon  Many canes were designed to be worn To make a statement of who people were and how they viewed themselves rather than used. They were not perambulatory aids, but items of fashion, individuality, power, status and profession. I have never seen any like yours try and contact this site to see if they can help. let us know what you discover  :)
http://www.antiquecanes.co.uk/index.html

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 09:18:33 pm »
TO answer your questions, I personally would not shine up if you are wanting to sell!!!  Are they marked as silver?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 11:16:18 pm »
OK I see what you mean. A sense of feeling old is a lot of it, and that is something that doesn't always come across in a photo.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 02:08:36 am »
They resemble a styling found in parts of Europe and Russia from around the 1930-1940s. They're not Russian in styling, but look to be from about that era. Chances are they were not made by any large or even known company. They were most likely commissioned by a collector who wanted to have some representation of different parts of Europe (German man smoking a pipe, French Poodle, English saddle on an English horse, Spanish conquistador, and what appears to be an English man in a bowler hat) while paying homage to their native land (Judging from what looks like more than one English character, I would guess Great Britain).

I've seen similar made Russian ones sell for $250-$300 each but I have no idea about the value of yours.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

Falcon55

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 12:31:33 pm »
 ;D

Oh Ladies an Gentlemen, Iīm most delighted by so many answers and comments! I didnīd expect that.

@ wendy177, I contacted the address you gave and if I get some informations I will of course post them here.

@ KC, unfortunately no silver marks, Iīm not looking to sell them but the patina is quite nice actually so I think Iīll keep them that way - thanks for the advice

@ rockandrollrods, great informations, sounds quite logical! For me the person in the long trousers also seems to be english

@ talesofthesevenseas, I agree totally with you - from photos it is often almost impossible to judge, sometimes you need the "hands on" approach.

Best regards!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 11:41:25 pm »
Reminds me of some Europeon ones that were used by riders!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 12:03:59 am »
They are quite cool. I use a cane from time to time, and a running joke in my household with my wife is that I need a "dress" cane for nice occasions like weddings. The problem is that the tops of these types won't work for me as I would need to actually use it. :D
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 02:18:09 am »
THis is a really good site that I like to look at from time to time.

Maybe contact them and see if they can advise you!

http://www.walking-canes-sticks.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d11.html

Falcon55

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 04:18:21 pm »
Thanks every body!

@ wendy177, I got an answer from the english gentleman, unfortunately he hadnīt seen such items before either. He also thought they might be from the 30īs.

@ KC, I also contacted the site you proposed - Iīll inform what answer Iīll get.

@ rockandrollrods, the canes are so thin so I think they are really of no support - or maybe just moral support