Author Topic: Trying to find info on this B&H Oil Lamp  (Read 1503 times)

johnale

• View Profile
Trying to find info on this B&H Oil Lamp
« on: January 06, 2012, 08:11:31 am »
This is very nice lamp but I can’t find any info on this. It is a B&H Oil Lamp with a couple of pat dates the first on is Aug 30 1895 and Apr 28 1895. The lamp appears to be cast bronze with one small crack. The globe is not original. Any help on this, would be great. Also I am trying to find the value. Thank you. Johnale

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Trying to find info on this B&H Oil Lamp
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 09:06:05 am »
Bradley and Hubbard was one of the largest manufacturers of kerosene lighting devices during the 19th and early 20th Century period.
Here's a brief history: http://www.thelampworks.com/lw_companies_b&h.htm

Your lamp is an attractive example of what I would call a "parlor lamp". Lamp values really have their ups and downs, and are currently down, compared to 10-20 years ago.  If you could find an old vintage globe to complement the lamp, I'd place it's value at $200 to $300. I'm sure someone here has a better idea of market values.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 10:27:29 am »
I found no reference to B&H ever making a bronze lamp,,only brass was made that I found !! And yours does look like the brass banquet lamps they made which were larger and more ornate than parlor lamps !!  The globe you have on it is too large and really should be replaced with the correct size for top dollar !!  I think these were all numbered by B&H can you find the number on yours or is the pat. dates all that is on it ??

johnale

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 11:18:16 am »
First I would like to thank you for your help. After a very close inspection I found nothing but the pat. dates and those dates are on the oil tank near wick. What size globe would you recommend for this lamp.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 02:33:29 pm »
Let me see if I can find the correct size !!  How tall is your lamp without the shade just bottom to wick top ??
http://www.si.edu/oahp/bradley_hubbard/thebradleyhubbardmfgco.htm/ !!   You might find this interesting about B&H  Click on the lamps and chandeliers to see examples !!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 03:16:01 pm by mart »