Author Topic: Noritake China  (Read 13257 times)

oddbodprimo

• View Profile
Noritake China
« on: September 02, 2004, 12:49:13 pm »

I have what I think is an antique creamer about 4 inches high that is white with blue markings covering it. They look like birds flying of some sort with long tails. On the bottom of it is only one thing stamped
its a blue sprig of leaves with an M under it and Japan below that. Any ideas what this hallmark is? I suspect it is a Noritake, because it looks like the hallmark but it doesn't say Noritake. Anyone have any ideas of who made this creamer and how old it is?

Creamer Pics
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 09:43:36 pm by oddbodprimo »

kerrybee

• View Profile
Noritake China
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 07:44:31 pm »
Okay, I hope you love web research as much as I do.   :)   There's a super site devoted to Asian ceramics-

www.gotheborg.com

A HUGE site - find Japanese ceramics on the home page, and open.  Look for a link to Morimura and/or Noritake.  Morimura was the predecessor of this wonderful porcelain, and that was his name.  He has an interesting history, a Japanese man, dealing out of New York City to import the very best his country had to offer.  Americans were hungry for beautiful imported porcelains - he got a great idea = why not make the porcelain, and import his own stuff instead of others - thus, was born what we know as Noritake - (historians, mea culpa, I simplify)  

Anyway, that is what I think you have - and says Japan ?  After 1891, and before 1921.  Technically, after 1921 it was supposed to say "made in" Japan. But the world of porcelain is not always exact.  The latest would be just before WWII.  

Best wishes, hope it's not information overload   :unsure:   KB

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Noritake China
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 05:15:53 pm »
HEY' GUESS WHAT? JOAN F. VAN PATTEN. SIXTH SERIES, SAY'S THEY USED JAPAN AS EARLY AS. 1914 AND MADE IN JAPAN ALSO PRIOR TO 1921. STAMPED ON THERE CHINA.

Noritake China
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 06:04:33 pm »
:rolleyes: Let me clarify the pattern marking on the creamer. It is blue wreath that is pointed down, not up as in Noritake or Morimura and under it is  the letter M and then below that is Japan. It still doesnt look like any of the pics on the Noritake search on this site. Any ideas?

kerrybee

• View Profile
Noritake China
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 07:40:41 pm »
:rolleyes:   For DB - and guess what else?  The word Nippon was "supposed" to not be used after 1921.  Some companies hedged all their bets and used 'em both !  

Really, this is what makes it fun.  Makes it a little difficult when looking to buy, tho'.  And there's nothing quite like "feeling" the piece.  

And for Guest:  Hang in there - I've got a couple of other places to look.  Gosh, I wish you could post a pic of the stamp.  I think the birds are swallows?  I'd like a posted pic of that too.       KB

oddbodprimo

• View Profile
Noritake China
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 05:11:11 pm »
Thanks kerrybee......there are 2 pics of the creamer on my site. one of the pattern and then one of the bottom with the stamp there as well. It took me 2 days to figure out how to make my own web site and then post the pics.....whew, but I did it. Thanks for looking into it for me.

kerrybee

• View Profile
Noritake China
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 07:52:37 pm »
Good Grief (said Charlie Brown) - now I really feel like an idiot.   :(

I clicked on your Pics link and got an MSN site that is an all purpose site it looks like.  I tried entering your screen name -  :blink:

What am I doing wrong and how can I do it right?

Oh, and my other places I looked gave me nothing.  Not a down pointing wreath at all.  Or an "M" clue.    

Not giving up yet tho'.            KB

oddbodprimo

• View Profile
Noritake China
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2004, 07:55:49 pm »
Hi kerry.....how did you view the one pic of my creamer? Was it in my post? I clicked on creamer pic at the bottom of my post, then open my documents I think it is on the msn and then there are 2 pics listed, creamer and creamer bottom. Open them both and they should be there. thanks for not giving up on me!  

oddbodprimo

• View Profile
Noritake China
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2004, 06:07:51 pm »
Hi kerrybee......when you click on my creamer pics MSN Sympatico comes up and also My Web Documents
Click on Personal Website below that
and then you have antique creamer jpg and creamer bottom jpg
at least that's what it says when I open it anyways! I am a newbie as you can tell...lol..

kerrybee

• View Profile
Noritake China
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 03:49:34 pm »
I'm seriously thinking of changing my screen name to "computerly challenged.com".  

I can't log onto what you log onto I think because I would need your id and your password (no, I am not asking for that).  When I click on creamer pics it gets me the MSN page,  But it does not say "my web docs" or "personal web" because I myself didn't create anything.  And "it" being the MSN site, knows I am not you.  And so how would you go about finding someone else's pics, or web site?  KB  (hey, we're not learning much about your pitcher, but we sure are learning computer 101.   :(     LOL

Noritake China
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 05:36:30 pm »
Good grief kerrybee........I thought I had this picture posting thing down pat...guess not, lol.

Maybe try this:

http://ca.msnusers.com/MyWebDocuments

and see if that comes up with the pics

Other than that  I have no idea how to post a picture. The instructions are so difficult that it is nearly impossible to do.

Thanks for your patience.

oddbodprimo

• View Profile
Noritake China
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2004, 12:08:24 am »
Hi kerrybee.....did you want me to email those creamer pics to you. You can also check out my web page, which hopefully I have done properly at:

http://ca.geocities.com/oddbodprimo/photopageceltic.html  

kerrybee

• View Profile
Noritake China
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2004, 08:59:21 pm »
yes  :D  you did it  :rolleyes:   Now it's my turn - the birds look different from what I pictured, but honestly your description was right - on.  I have not ever seen that mark, which only means that I have not run across it on a web site - however, and this is a big however, the bottom of the piece looks awfully clean - which also does not mean that it is not old - just a caution -  

let me see what I can come up with in the next coupla' days.  PS:  your site and pics are great -        KB

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Noritake China
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2004, 08:35:25 am »
:huh: lady's I just checked joan van patten;s noritake marks. 343 marks to be exact, nothing showing this mark. :(  

kerrybee

• View Profile
Noritake China
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2004, 05:17:45 pm »
okay guys, what d'ya think of this one?

http://www.antiqnet.com/detail%2Cblue-whit...x%2C302689.html

60 some sites later, this is the closest - and your pitcher is probably vintage, same era, 1930's to 1940's.

An attempt to cash in on the popular Noritake, with M in wreath.  If it were a post WWII piece, and copying Noritake, it would have an N in wreath.  And the mark is just different enough that perhaps they didn't think it was a blatant fraud. (upside down wreath, different shape M)

The bird design - not only very Japanese/Chinese, but designed to appeal to those who love the Blue Willow patterns.  Made for the American market.

Guestimate of value:  $25 - $50.