Author Topic: Had to share another, this one is off the charts  (Read 2822 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Had to share another, this one is off the charts
« on: January 09, 2012, 09:24:04 pm »
     O.k.  I try not to post too many of these wonderful treasure we find at goodwill, but this one seems to be going off the charts.  Posted it yesterday, and already has almost 700 views and about 60 watcher, this is my best one so far, started it a 9.99 and just cross the $300.00 mark.  I  did find a little information on this and one web site, which dates these around 1830's, and is just a wonderful jewerly box.  I do have a couple of questions about it.  It comes with 3 bottles, what would you need bottles for in a sewing box?  Then the more complex question, and this has come up twice since I have been there.  Their is a lid with this box, that really appears to be silver, has the tarnish of silver, but when we tested it with acid in the jewerly dept. I came up unknown metal, this happened on another item I had.  What metal tarnishes like silver but the acid test says it is not?? 

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=9206359

ironlord1963

• View Profile
Re: Had to share another, this one is off the charts
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 09:25:37 pm »
    Here is a link to the only site I have found like this item.

http://hygra.com/uk/jb2/JB302/

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 10:24:57 pm »
That is one insanely beautiful dresser box!!!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 11:52:51 pm »
Ironlord, all vintage and antique sewing and vanity items are HOT!  Some, like this, are like you said...off the charts!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 01:41:39 am »
    I do have a couple of questions about it.  It comes with 3 bottles, what would you need bottles for in a sewing box?  Then the more complex question, and this has come up twice since I have been there.  Their is a lid with this box, that really appears to be silver, has the tarnish of silver, but when we tested it with acid in the jewerly dept. I came up unknown metal, this happened on another item I had.  What metal tarnishes like silver but the acid test says it is not?? 

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=9206359
It's not a sewing box which is why it has 3 bottles & a toothbrush box.  You would have taken your bottles to the pharmacy to get them filled with whatever creams or lotions you wanted.   The boxes were used as dresser boxes, but also used for traveling.  It seems to be missing quite a few things, but most of them usually are missing a couple of things.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 02:36:01 am »
   At first we did not think it was a sewing box too, but it has a pin cushion in it.  It also had a note stating it was one too.  But the bottles are a mystery too, maybe it could be for something else, but why a pin cushion?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 02:57:53 am »
Women traveled with everything!!!!  Well prepared!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 03:05:09 am »
Aww Good point.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 10:03:41 am »
The pin cushion would have been for hat pins !!  It is a dresser/jewelry box !! That site you gave as reference lists it as a jewelry box !!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 10:40:02 am »
   Yes the more we discuss this the more I believe it to be a Dresser/Jewerly box, would make more sense.  But since there are bids I can't change the title, oh well we will see what happens, guess I should of posted pics here before I posted it.  Actually wish I could,  On a few occassions I have, but usually I get something to post and have to post it that day, not much time to figure out what something is for the most part.  Anyway thanks for all the comments, guess I will know better when the next one comes through.