Author Topic: Sheraton? Table  (Read 4282 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Sheraton? Table
« on: January 10, 2012, 01:00:07 pm »
Hi all. :) I got this table for my birthday, too. I have been doing some research and I think it is Sheraton in style, possibily 1830s? I have found similar ones online but I want to make sure I have the date right because most of the ones I found were on ebay and people on there could be wrong. From what I have read, this style was most popular from about 1815-the 1840s. So, I just put mine right in the middle. Is it Sheraton in style? It has a lot of damage and repairs and the finish is not original. But I loved the legs!

The original nails look to be cut steel, maybe the kind that would be cut from flat sheets of steel in the late 1700s-early 1800s? They are tiny and more silver color than the later nails that were added. I haven't really seen any like them before.The later nails are iron, with a square shaft and heads that are neither round nor square. They look hand forged but not like the ones I usually see. I can tell that they were added later when the drawers might have been coming loose. They are just hammered haphazardly and caused a lot of splits and damage and are really too big to be put in some of the places they were put. I don't think a furniture maker would have done that.

The bottom of the drawers are like raised panels. Like the panels you see on raised panel doors. They are really thick and hand planed.

The drawers originally had two knobs on each drawer, now they have one and the holes were filled.

I can take more pictures, I am just curious about age and style. Thanks for any advice!

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Sheraton? Table
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 01:01:11 pm »
Later nails.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 02:27:26 pm »
I don`t see Sheraton as the style !!  Looks more Colonial to me !!  Sheraton had some turning but not as deep or as much !!  Sheraton legs were finely crafted, and tapered rather abruptly, ending sometimes in an arrow type foot !!  Those tiny nails could be brads that were added more recently since they are more silver colored !! Could be a more modern repair !!  Your date actually seems about right, now to determine the style !!  My first thought was that it is an English piece !!  And that is a possibility !!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 02:33:21 pm »
I know what you mean about the style, It doesn't really look sheraton but there are many similar ones online that people are calling sheraton so I don't know what it is! Sheraton was also a little earlier than I think this was made. I will take pics of the nails I am talking about, they aren't brads, I don't think. I'll post them in a few. :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 04:30:03 pm by hosman321 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 02:39:07 pm »
Great anything will help !!  Wish it had the original hardware !!  Sheraton legs are not that heavy or bulky !!  But we will just have to see what we can find !! 

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 03:06:52 pm »
I am having a bit of a hard time getting a picture of the small nails but here's a few pics. They look very much like the little tiny L shaped cut nails in the first picture at the top of the website below that have a longer rectangular head. The second nail in the picture. But the bigger nails look just like the ones they say were made up until 1800 so I don't know, I don't think this table is that early. Could it be a little earlier than 1830?

http://www.harpgallery.com/library/nails.htm

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:26:21 pm by hosman321 »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 01:31:09 pm »
Any other opinions about this table? :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 01:42:20 pm »
I have been looking but nothing I can find yet !! I honestly think its an English made table !! Probably right timeline, early 1800`s !! Feet are not what you would see on an American table from same time !!  Legs are too heavy for Sheraton and too much turning !! And not as finely crafted !! Give me a while longer to look !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 02:23:03 pm »
Yes, This is a period Sheraton country stand, C 1830-40 or so. From the turnings, it looks to be Tennesee, what species is table and secondary wood?

These tables were called "light stands" in period because candlestands being 3 legs were just not stable enough when oil lamps came out, these tables held whale oil lamps which dominated during this time, a BIG improvement over candles. Naturally, oil lamps are kinda dangerous and needed something much more stable than a candle stand, thus, light stands with 4 legs were born around 1800.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 02:48:33 pm by jacon4 »

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 03:02:06 pm »
The confusion is probably due to, big city VS country made. This stand was not made in the big city like NYC, Boston, Charleston, etc but out in the towns where most of the population was. Most towns had at least 1 cabinetmaker if not more and they used woods that were available locally, walnut, cherry, maple, etc. Big city cabinetmakers often used imported woods like mahogany on their top of the line work.

Hosman's appears to be a Cherry stand with poplar secondary wood, its a nice piece although it could probably use a bit of restoration/new finish.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:08:49 pm by jacon4 »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 04:25:20 pm »
Jacon, I really, really appreciate your response! Thank you for the information, you are a wealth of knowledge. :)
The finish is pretty bad (and looks to be about 100 years old or so) but I'm too scared to do anything to it myself so I suppose it will have to wait. There is also quite a bit of damage. Those lines on the top board are not multiple boards, the 1 board just split into three pieces. I'm not sure how to tell what the woods are but I can take pictures of the grain if it will help at all.Thank you again!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 04:28:47 pm by hosman321 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 05:02:57 pm »
You think so Jacon4 ??  I would have bet my bottom dollar it was an English made table !! I have never seen that foot on a Sheraton piece !! Arrow foot,,the most common, yes, but not that one !! I have seen similar on English country tables !! I will have to go with your opinion,,you being the more knowlegable person !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 06:35:29 pm »
Mart,
Yep, absolutely positive. The turnings are distinctive to eastern TN or western NC but almost for sure a mid-atlantic state. Also, the drawer construction is spot on for cabinetmakers up & down the eastern seaboard during the first half of the 19th century, both city & country, from Georgia to Vermont, thats how drawers were built here. If it was english, not only would the drawer construction be different, the secondary wood would most likely be oak, not poplar or pine which dominated here in secondary wood construction.

Odd how turners in America differed in their adaptation of english styles, from pilgrim, william & mary, queen anne, chippendale & sheraton each region had its own version of turnings within the same style period which although similar, very distinctive to their own region. I dont know if it was, "my turnings are better than yours" kinda thing ( a very american trait) or why each region differed but i am glad they did.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:56:57 pm by jacon4 »

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 07:15:27 pm »
As for restoration, the one thing you NEVER want to get anywhere near a period piece of furniture is sandpaper, stay away from sandpaper,lol. (yes, this means the dings, dents, etc will still be visible after restoration, so what?)
As for the top being split, thats really kinda normal for old furniture of that age and earlier, the good news is, its usually an easy fix with elmers type glue & a few clamps.
As for value, these stands are normally listed at auction in the $200-$600 range, sometimes they bring less, sometimes more, MUCH MORE. Country examples in tiger maple & very good condition often go for thousands, ditto some big city examples that are finely crafted with inlays & delicate turned legs that are fluted and built from exotic woods.
These stands (both Sheraton & Hepplewhite) were the end of the line in hand built furniture in America. By 1850, steam power came along in a big way & revolutionized how furniture was built here.
This type of stand is very functional even today & offer beginning collectors a chance to own a period piece for not alot of money.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 05:39:02 am by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 07:18:11 pm »
 Those pics were so dark I really couldn`t tell what the sec. wood was or the primary wood for that matter !!  While I knew that methods vary by location/maker ect, I will say that this one is quite a lesson for me !!  Thanks for expanding my knowledge a bit !!
And listen to Jacon4 about the sandpaper,, don`t even think about it !!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 07:19:51 pm by mart »