Author Topic: Antique Metal Floor Lamp  (Read 3331 times)

amandac322

• View Profile
Antique Metal Floor Lamp
« on: January 10, 2012, 05:29:01 pm »
This was given to me from a relative in New Jersey along with a number of other pieces. I don't know much about it other than it belonged to my great aunt. It was most likely purchased in the northwest Jersey area. I have no idea as to the age. The metal is not corroded but it needs to be re-plated. I believe it was stored in an airplane hanger for a number of years.

The base has a floral pattern, and there is a leafy pattern going up the length of the tube, which is square. The base is solid metal and has no markings underneath. The top part seems to be brass, with the tube and base being made of copper (at least it is a rosy-brown metal) and the middle part halfway up the base is made of steel or iron (grey metal). I apologize for my lack of proper terminology, I am new to this.

My questions are:

1. How old is this lamp, approximately, and does anyone know the manufacturer?
2. What is the approximate worth? I want to have it restored, but if it is only worth $10 I might not put out the couple hundred or more dollars to have it plated. I do like it though and plan to keep it regardless of it's value, I just need to know how much to invest in getting it looking nice again.

Photos:

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Antique Metal Floor Lamp
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 07:19:34 pm »
Nice little lamp , amandac322 .

I'd suggest that you only re-wire the unit (in the event that you're planning on pluggin' it in & using it) , perhaps with 'period-authentic-as-possible' components .

It's antique value will be higher (IMO) if you leave it & all of its' age-aquired funkyness just as it is .

No need to apologize for terminology , you're doin' just fine , amandac322 !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 07:51:14 pm »
I agree !!  I would rewire it and just clean it and use it !! Its likely around 1900 to 1920 give or take a year or two !! Some of this style had tiffany style shades others didn`t !! So you can choose what you like on that !!  Value is around $50. to $60. !!  Rewired and replace the shade maybe $80. !!  Not enough to justify replating which is not cheap !!
There were so many of these made that finding who made yours would be difficult !!  Only thing that might help is the square center pole !! 

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 08:06:41 pm »
That is a bridge lamp from the twenties that still shows a little earlier Art Nouveau influence. If you look at the socket it probably has a couple threads on it for an Uno Shade which was a paper or cloth shade that had a ring that screwed right to the socket. I hate to disagree with my fellow member but a Tiffany shade would make the lamp off balance and it would too easily fall over. Many of these had onyx or glass bases that were sometimes lighted. We used to find these on the curb in the 70s and sell them like crazy for 25 to 40 dollars back then in Englishtown NJ.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 08:21:03 pm »
The tiffany style shades only had the look and shape of tiffany,, not the weight !! Some were cloth shades but still had a similar shape !!  Yes,, the heavier shades would make them very unstable !!  Guess I need to explain more but these pics were so large and were downloading while I typed so I was in a hurry before my computer crashed,,,again !!

amandac322

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 08:47:47 pm »
Thanks so much for the information! I can't wait to get it cleaned up and use it! Any recommendations on cleaning? I was going to use a mixture of salt, vinegar and flour. Is that safe to use?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 05:16:49 am »
I have bought and sold several of those type lamps but didn't know until just now that they are called Bridge arm lamps.

So if you Google ..... Bridge arm lamp shades ........

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 05:23:51 am »
I would just use a quality brass cleaner as parts of it may be quite thin and plated !! Do not use the salt mixture as it will scratch !!http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=bridge+arm+pole+lamps&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1976266611458650839&sa=X&ei=VoENT-LkBsfZ0QGs1aT1BQ&ved=0CGkQ8gIwAg#   This is what I was talking about although I am not sure this is an older lamp !! Might be a new one !!
Mmmm,, not sure why this is not coming up as a clickable link !! 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 06:42:40 am by mart »

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 09:42:13 am »
These lamps were always a staple in my shop over the years. I don't know how many dozen that I cleaned up and rewired over the years. I would always disassemble them by pulling the wire out, and unscrewing the arm, and pole from the base. Most of the time 4-O steel wool would clean them up to be quite presentable. There are replacement silk shades that are scaled for these lamps that really add to their appearance. As others have said; be carefull with the weight of glass shades, and if you do use one, I would suggest a bell type 2 1/4" shade holder that mounts behind the socket. (I never trust those old sockets to stay together with a nice glass shade hanging on them.)

amandac322

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 09:56:45 am »
Anyone have an opinion on this shade to go with it?

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/cream-scallop-dome-lamp-shade-6x17x12x11-spider__28195.html

I found one I like more, but it is too expensive.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 10:17:52 am »
That shade is designed for a table lamp !!  Look at the bottom where it gives the size, above that it says that the correct size harp is included !!  A harp is used with a table lamp !! Look for a similar shade for a pole lamp so it will be correct without having to adapt it to something it was not made for !!  I think that  style would look great and would be correct for the time of the lamp !!