Author Topic: Stick with Numbers  (Read 5621 times)

WoodNick

• View Profile
Stick with Numbers
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:08:51 pm »
Hi I'm new here looking for information on this stick It's 24" long and 3/4" sq. has 3 sets of numbers on each side 9 thru 20 and the divisions are of a foot 9/12th of a foot to 20/12th of a foot Thanks for any help Nick

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Stick with Numbers
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 07:03:13 pm »
I can't really see it so well , from your image , WoodNick .

Perhaps a story-pole , from a cabinet shop ?
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 04:53:31 am »
Now I was familiar with a barn-stick but not a story-pole.

HA, I assume the only difference was whether you were building a barn or building a house.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 05:39:54 am »
I would guess its for building a model to scale !!  Maybe a doll house ect since its total is 24 in. ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 01:27:54 pm »
Can you please post a close up pic of the stick?  Also, what country are you in?

They made all kinds of measuring sticks. Some that would be butted up against a piece and some (like a tree measuring stick) that are used from a distance.

My grandfather had all kinds of measuring sticks (uncle inherited or I would go look and see if he had one like this).  He was an extremely talented carpenter/mason and did this for a living as his father did and so on.  He also worked on building the Hoover Dam and some other govt projects and had all kinds of phenomenal tools.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:38:06 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 08:08:05 pm »
The story-pole (sometimes AKA story-stick) were often used by cabinetmakers , esp when carrying a design (or elements of one) in a reductionist manner as in a "large-to-small' motif .
Same goes for using one for laying out carvings on cabinet & such .

Very rare to find story-sticks are signed/noted with each progressive 'owner' of the item (often passed from father-son , and master-apprentice) & have a unique feature of having a fixed scribe-blade (usually @ the 'beginning end' of the stick) that's sometimes affixed to a rotating block .

So , yup , cogar ...same kinda deal on a small scale !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 09:22:03 pm »
fancypants, I was able to blow up the pic but it is so blurry (poor resolution) and it does look handmade.

I first thought it wasn't.

Agree it is a story stick...and depending on where they are there are all different kinds. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 09:29:22 pm »
I'll stick to the story !

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 02:33:26 am »
regularjoe2...you crack me up!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 05:34:57 am »
In the old days, most everyone wanting to build themselves a house, barn, etc., would make themselves a story-stick, house-stick, barn-stick, measuring stick, whatever, ….. because all the building materials were “hand-made” right on the job site except for any sawed lumber they might have purchased. And it didn’t matter what the length of the “stick” was, be it 2 feet to 6+ feet by today’s measurements. The person would make themselves a “stick” and then “mark” their stick for ½ stick, ¼ stick, 1/8 stick, etc. They would then stake their building site to be “x” sticks long, “x” sticks wide, etc, and then cut and hue the timbers/logs to those dimensions. He would keep adding “marks” on his stick as needed for door sizes, window sizes, room sizes, etc. Carpenters employed to do the building probably had their own “stick”.

The 6’ folding wood ruler wasn’t invented until 1851 and even then most people didn’t have a “length” measuring device like a 36” yard stick. Actual inches and feet measurements were of no importance until the Industrial Revolution and Mail Order Catalogs arrived on the scene.

Just my rambling thoughts on the subject, ….. so take them with a grain of salt. ;D ;D

WoodNick

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 07:52:18 am »
It's a manufactured piece. It has New York stamped in it. A story stick would not have 12 different logarithmic scales on it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 12:53:40 am »
Woodnick, in order for us to help you figure this out better, we really need a better pic of it!  Thanks!

WoodNick

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 08:03:42 am »
This is the 18, 19, 20 side. The top line is 2/18th of a foot to 6/18 of a foot on the 18 line  then 2(thru6)/19th of a foot on the 19 line and 2(thru 7)20th of a foot on the 20 line 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 10:56:03 am »
Something is telling me that those linear numbers ( 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,  etc.) are not the “foot” fractional equivalents (2/18th of a foot to 6/18 of a foot) of the scale numbers (9 thru 20).

If the stick is 24" long (2 feet) then those 12 sets of linear numbers should repeat themselves if they are scaled in 12th of a foot, ….. do they?

WoodNick

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 01:08:59 pm »
All the numbers (9 thru 20) are the same (9 thru 20) at the 12" mark then continue on to the end. e.g. 11/12th at the 1 ft. mark then the next mark would be 12 11/12th of a foot then 13 11/12th  and so on.