Author Topic: Porcelain Flow Blue Willow Bowl Germany Makers Mark ID?  (Read 1782 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Porcelain Flow Blue Willow Bowl Germany Makers Mark ID?
« on: January 13, 2012, 01:48:34 pm »
I purchased this at the thrift store yesterday and have been researching the makers mark without success. I was hoping someone could help with identifying the makers mark, where it was made, time period of the bowl or any other information.

The bowl I think would be considered a type of flow blue willow. It looks like it had at one time been painted with a gold design over the porcelain and the flow blue willow (hard to make out in the images). There are 3 kiln stand marks inside the bowl along with crazing and a lot of wear on the bottom rim of the bowl. The bowl measures about 5 inches wide at the top, 3 inches wide at the bottom and 3 inches tall.

On the bottom is a makers mark and what looks like could be part of the words "MADE IN GERMANY". Although, there seems to be a stamp, another kiln stand mark or impression that looks like the capital letter "I" over the first word or part of the first word so I can't make out what it says.

I can also make out the letters "IN" after the impressed mark. The last word seems to only have the last 4 letters "MANY" from what I can make out so I think it could be "GERMANY". There are also what looks like 2 gold marks to the left of the tower or crown of the makers mark that seem to be under the glazing (it doesn't show up well in the images).

Thanks,
Kevin

" width="816" height="1044" border="0

Chris_Marshall

Re: Porcelain Flow Blue Willow Bowl Germany Makers Mark ID?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 02:05:47 pm »
Utzschneider & Co, Saargemünd ... see here: http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/lorraine/saargemuend_1/00.php

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 02:22:24 pm »
Thanks Chris! Wow that was a fast reply. I looked at your site for about an hour over my slow network and only looked in the "Main Section". I should have continued down to the next "Related" category under Lorraine / Saargemünd to find it. You sure have a nice site with a lot of great information.

Thanks again!
Kevin

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 04:45:10 pm »
So, does yours date from between 1894-1918? It's very pretty and a really cool find if it's that old! The oldest stuff I have found at the Goodwill were two pieces of china from the 1870s. They were both damaged, but I was thrilled nonetheless. ;)

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 08:08:27 pm »
hosman321, I think it does date between 1894 and 1918. The mark seems to agree with the two images listed on Chris's site at http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/lorraine/saargemuend_1/00.php for Image 2-19 and Image 2-20 although the color is a shade different.

Originally my best guess was that the bowl was from between 1889 and 1919 so I wasn't too far off. This bowl I paid $2.00 for at the thrift store.  Can't go wrong at that price. A lot of the pieces at the thrift store are damaged in one way or another but you can find some real good deals there if your timing is right. Every time you go is a new adventure, you never know what will turn up.

I really like the flow blue willow on this bowl. I've taken another closeup picture of the makers mark and then zoomed into it which I've included below.

Kevin

" width="741" height="1504" border="0