Author Topic: Unidentified Spoon Perplexes Me  (Read 1261 times)

Siro

• View Profile
Unidentified Spoon Perplexes Me
« on: January 14, 2012, 04:31:23 pm »
Hello,

Can I trouble anyone who may have some information on the spoon shown in the attached pictures.  I have spent hours trying to find out any information on the internet, to no avail. 

I was left the spoon in a box of belongings from my dad.  There was no information about it whatsoever.  I don't know its era or even what it's made of - possibly brass/bronze?  It has what looks like some corrosion in the inside of the head (shown in the picture).  It's approximately 7" long.  What maybe isn't so clear in the pictures is that each side of the woman's headdress is adorned with a flower - possibly a poppy or rose.  There is a marker's mar 'E' stamped into the back, which I have enlarged on one of the pictures.

I would dearly love to know the origins of this beautiful item.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

Ms Jay

mart

• View Profile
Re: Unidentified Spoon Perplexes Me
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 05:18:40 pm »
It might help to know what country you are in !!  Its a lovely spoon and very unique !!

Siro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 05:22:38 pm »
Sorry!  I live in Wales, United Kingdom.  My father was from Ireland, but lived in Wales for the latter part of his life, so I don't know in which country he came about the spoon. 

Thank you, it really is lovely.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 09:32:28 am »
HI Siro, Welcome.

There are so many collectible spoons and makers out there.  I personally collect all kinds of spoons and haven't seen one like this...but there are so many out there that is not unlikely at all - especially when you are across the pond from me!  But we like a challenge!

The first thing that really needs to be established is the material the spoon is made of in order to track down a maker.  

The style of the E isn't discernible (ex:  block, type style) and if it is in a block, circle, cartouche, etc.

Also can you post the dimensions of the bowl of the spoon.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:00:58 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Siro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 01:51:07 pm »
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.  I am having the spoon tested tomorrow to establish its material.  To me it looks like bronze, and what isn't apparent to the naked eye, but becomes visible when magnified, is the odd fleck of isolated corrosion of a greeny-blue colour, which looks similar to bronze corrosion.  But I could be completely wrong - hopefully I'll get the answer tomorrow!

The bowl of the spoon is 7mm long by approx. 4mm wide.  The concave depth is approx. 4.75mm.

The 'E': Under a magnifying glass it looks like it's been stamped coarsely segment by segment, but I don't have a trained eye for these things so again could be off the mark.  I will try to get a macro image up of the letter when I post the result of the material test.

Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it.