Author Topic: Three Shaving Mugs and a Mustache Cup  (Read 2562 times)

Circe

• View Profile
Three Shaving Mugs and a Mustache Cup
« on: January 17, 2012, 10:22:02 pm »
I have quite a few things passed down to me since I lost my grandfather last year. I'm not thinking anything is worth much, but I still want to find out a little bit about the history and worth of these items before I give anything away to Goodwill.

Circe

• View Profile
Re: Three Shaving Mugs and a Mustache Cup
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 10:23:17 pm »
First up is a mustache cup. Most of the paint has been completely worn off, but aside from that it looks to be in good condition. There appears to have been some sort of mark on the bottom, but it is very worn and unreadable.

Circe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 10:24:19 pm »
The other three are unmarked shaving mugs, also with worn paint but otherwise good condition.

Circe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:38:41 pm »
>

Circe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:39:30 pm »
>

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 09:32:30 am »
Circe,

Unfortunatly shaving mugs and moustache cups don't seem to bring a lot on the auctions unless they are very old (1850-1880) or something unusual with patent dates etc.  The ones I have looked at are priced at $1.50 up to several hundred dollars, but the ones with bids very scarce.  I bought a shaving cup at an estate auction ten or twelve years ago and I thought it would be worth a lot but checking the Net auctions ones like mine brought very little.  I guess everybody but me uses electric shavers anymore.  Moustaches and goatees seem to be all the "rage" anymore so maybe the moustache cups may become more in demand.  Hopefully.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 09:41:37 am »
Here the mustache cups bring more than shaving mugs unless like Jondar said, they are very old !!  Texas has a lot of people with a mustache and they bring $5. to $10. !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 10:32:59 am »
It seems as if mustache cups and shaving mugs have always had an appeal to a certain generation of collectors. As those folks have grown older, the popularity of these items have dimensioned, unless it's a special piece.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 10:46:22 am »
   I just recently sold a pretty Mustache cup for just over $50.00 on Ebay, and Right now I have another on ebay, that is unique but has some damage, trying to find the value of the less then perfect ones now.  I have a few more, that was kind of plain like the one you have, and trying to decide if I will post it or not.  In very good condition with a saucer, they sell pretty well, not for big money, but some at least that is what I have been learning.

Circe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 02:45:54 pm »
Thank you for your advice, guys! These *are* very old, from the 1800s... but I figured they are pretty common collectibles. My mother is rather fond of these anyway, so she will be happy to know they are worthless and we have no reason to sell them! My uncle knocked over the antique cabinet that housed these back in the 1950s, so these are the only ones remaining from the family collection. :)