Author Topic: Can somone help with Bavaria Mark??  (Read 2035 times)

bob535

• View Profile
Can somone help with Bavaria Mark??
« on: January 18, 2012, 12:06:20 pm »
I am pretty sure this is not antique, but The people int his forum are the best I have come across  ;D I know there are some people here that are just awesome when it comes to porcelain and things of the like.....But I am trying to find some info on this mark if someone can help...

Chris_Marshall

Re: Can somone help with Bavaria Mark??
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:06:58 pm »
I know the mark in itself (exactly that crown and 'BAVARIA' in that form) but I am amazed to see it on such a green background ... interesting!

The mark itself (the naked crown and writing) is not able to hide any other mark, therefore the green 'cover' was needed (the combination is therefore dubbed a 'cover-up' mark). That is normally seen as the common work of decoration studios ... legal reasons forced them to hide original manufacturer marks as the manufacturers themselves were in general not very pleased to see their items 'defaced' by decorators.

However the same 'cover-up' tactics were used by manufacturers themselves, for various reasons. Even renown manufacturers like Rosenthal and Hutschenreuther sometimes took already finished and ready-marked products and had them "pimped up" by their own decoration departments. There are also cases in which a renown company had items with their A-brand (e.g. 'Rosenthal') remarked to match their B-brand (e.g. 'Stonegate China') series.

If you play around with the lighting a little (either hold the plate in various angles or have a strong light source shine *through* the plate), you should probably be able to just make out an original mark underneath the green cover-up - I assume it to be a mark from Schumann in Arzberg. (Edit: wrong, confused two similar marks, see below for solution)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:31:30 pm by Chris_Marshall »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 02:10:40 pm »
Was wondering about that background !!  I didn`t find anything similar !! Since it was so bright I was assuming a newer piece/mark !!

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 02:15:47 pm »
Wow, very interesting information. I never would have guess there would be cover up marks. very useful information when i see marks like this i will have a better understanding.....T hanks  ;D

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 04:10:44 pm »
I tried playing with the exposure on your pic and came up with this......don't know if the shaded image showing up is from an under mark or just a fluke of lighting. If it is an under mark, maybe someone (Chris??  ;) ) will recognize it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 05:07:38 pm »
Tell me what I am supposed to be looking at ?? All I see is a few glare spots !!  Old eyes !!

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 06:28:57 pm »
Thanks Sapphire, seeing the slight shadow was enough ... I really must see a doctor. This "I *know* that mark" business is getting really scary :)

[picture #1]
This is the visible ('on top') mark:

[picture #2]
This is the invisible ('covered-up') mark:

Manufacturer was J. Kronester from the town of Schwarzenbach in Bavaria, both marks were in use around 1969.