Author Topic: Antique wicker seat rocker?  (Read 1910 times)

jcmurp

• View Profile
Antique wicker seat rocker?
« on: January 20, 2012, 03:29:00 pm »
Hi everyone.
Well here I am again looking for some info. I am still trying to get some money together to pay my moms medical and funeral expenses so
We have had this rocker for quite a while originaly from my great grandfather and maybe before.
I can not make out the marks but it does look very old. Any ideas as to a maker or how old or the value here? Enough to help with a little of the expenses possible?
Any and all info and help would be greatly appreciated.
Mark looks like II K but may be MK not sure
Also not sure of the wood

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Antique wicker seat rocker?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 04:26:27 pm »
You have a lovely rocker, but sadly there is not much of a market for them and they are greatly undervalued and under appreciated. I see beautiful rockers sitting on Craigslist for months without selling. I think yours may be mahogany, and just looking at the style I think it's going to come in around 1890-1910.

There are some very similar ones on this page. Remember that the prices shown here are retail prices, what you would get on Craigslist would probably be about half of this, and only if someone really falls in love with it.

My suggestion is to treasure it for it's connection to your mother and pass it to someone in the family who will love it if you possibly can. For the few dollars you can realistically get for it, it's true value is much more sentimental than monetary. So sorry that I don't have better news on this one for you! It's a truly beautiful rocker, people just don't buy them much. I have one and love it!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 04:36:59 pm »
Is the mark on the bottom of the rocker ??  I would date it a bit later than that,, late teens or 20`s !! Its a Queen Anne style and the shape of the arms is why I am guessing a bit later date !! Many chairs of that era had that same arm style even into the 30`s !! Cant see the detail in the pierced splat but it looks like pretty good condition !!  Value depends a lot on your location !! But most areas would bring around $100. to$150. due to the style !!

jcmurp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:51:11 pm »
Thanks so much, As for the mark it is on the bottom of the rocker (the slat that forms the curve to allow it to rock)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 05:47:09 pm »
It is not a factory mark !! I would guess that it is from a member of your family !! It looks like II K to me !!  You might think back and see if it rings a bell !!

matty77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 06:12:40 pm »
I agree with Tales.  FYI - the seat is cane, not wicker.  Good luck!

jcmurp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 06:35:52 pm »
Thanks everyone. So does cane change the date or the possible origination of the chair? I also can not think of anyone in the family that would use IIK and it also is on the rocker on each curved rocker bottom .Also I have a rocker marked Made in yugoslavia with gold tone paintings on it anything there? I am also still researching the Stag slag lamp I posted several days ago.
Thanks again
I know allot of questions I am asking but I really do need the help. Is there anyone here who may be able to shed some light on some crystal pieces
thanks

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 06:38:23 pm »
It reminds me of the marks that you see on dining room chairs, put on by the factory when they had six chairs and the individual ones in a set would be marked one through six, but that doesn't add up for a rocker. Maybe this is a model number indicating the style?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 02:32:22 pm »
No,, in my opinion it does not change the date since cane has been used for many years !!  It could be a little earlier but I don`t think so !!  It was  made when most all of the mfrs were reproducing period styles !! I have not found anything about the mark !!  Is it possible that the rockers were replaced at some time ??  If a local woodworker made the rockers I would not be surprised to see a mark like that !!