Author Topic: Farm Item-Bird Bath?  (Read 5091 times)

help

• View Profile
Farm Item-Bird Bath?
« on: January 21, 2012, 11:33:48 pm »
Hello all, I'm hoping the someone out there can help me identify what this item is. I've had it for many years and have never been able to identify what it is. The end piece that looks like a funnel, doesn't have any drain holes on the inside, so it isn't a funnel. Any help at all will be appreciated. thank you ???

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Farm Item-Bird Bath?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 06:34:20 am »
Given the fact that it appears the “funnel” shaped container is affixed to a 4-position adjustable “trip” or “dump”  mechanism, my guess is that it is some sort of “flow” or “pressure” (air, water, etc.) control or measuring device.

But what that device is or was, I don’t yet have a clue. Knowing from where or how you acquired it may give us a clue?

Coldeedy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 10:27:17 am »
looks a bit like a lamp snuffer, prob totally wrong though  ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 10:28:14 am »
My grandfather had a device similar (not saying this is what yours is for) and it was for measuring the gigantic sprinkler coverage in the orange groves.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 11:08:42 am »
When I had my antique shop I had an old ( wooden) washing machine that had similar arms inside !!  It had a hand crank and as you turned the crank the arms (two like yours) rotated around and around to wash clothes !! Turn your piece upside down with the funnel on the bottom,, is there a way to attach the top arm to something else !!  Can`t remember exactly how mine attached except there was a rotating arm that circled while the part you have went up and down !! Some sort of gear system I think !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 11:18:54 am »
In addition to the wonderful advice given by mart...does it look like the item was "staked" in the ground?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 12:38:19 pm »
 mart, that could be it, a rotating “dasher” arm. It looks to be galvanized, thus it won’t rust. And that “trip” mechanism would prevent an article of clothing from getting “hung-up” on the dasher.

If one did, the “funnel” end would flip sideways and the garment would slide off.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 12:50:06 pm »
Its been so long I really don`t remember how exactly it worked !! The top arm was a back and forth pump type and as you pumped it back and forth the interior part which attached to the main rotating arm at a right angle went around and the bottom part, like the pic, went up and down !!  Lord I hope you can understand this !! It was really a simple machine as the gears advanced the center arm and I think the entire thing went up and down, but I am not sure !!  Cant remember how the gears worked !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 01:07:12 pm »
I agree that this is probably an early washing machine agitator / plunger. But I'm having a hard time remembering why they would have adjustable positioning like this one has.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 01:48:46 pm »
Maybe just to get them out of the way and make removal easier !!  It had a drain and a wringer but no spin cycle so they would have been pretty wet and heavy !!

help

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 04:49:17 pm »
Hello and thank you all for your input. It seems that the consensus is that it is a old washing machine part. I did a google search for antique/vintage washing machines and saw images of 100's of antique washers most were made of wood and some were made of copper. But I saw nothing resembling the piece in question. Also, I'll answer some of the questions that were asked:

does the wooden handle get staked into the ground? NO, there's evidence of that. The metal is all galvanized
where did you get it.

Knowing from where or how you acquired it may give us a clue? I got with in a lot of unrelated stuff.

Here's some additional information. The metal parts are galvanized. I don't see were it could have been fastened or attached to something else.

IF anyone can show any photos of this item or a similar looking item as part of a washing machine that would be helpful.

Thank you again and please keep the comments coming.

ross

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 05:51:22 pm »
What does the end of the long metal part, the bottom of your pics, look like ?? Is there a hole as if for a bolt to go through ?? If its galvanized it likely came into contact with water at some point !!  Like Cogar said,,it doesn`t rust and was mostly used because of that fact !! I looked at the washing machine museum but my computer freezes on front page !! But most of the pics may not show the inside !!

help

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 06:12:56 pm »
Matt,

"the long metal part, at the bottom of the pitcher" that you referred to, isn't actually metal, it's wood. If we're talking about the same part. The part that i'm referring to, is the part that is pointing straight down in the pictures. And you can see that it's a different color than the galvanized metal parts. If that is the part in question, its made of wood and to me, it seems like its a handle of sorts. And there aren't any holes in it to fasten it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 06:24:06 pm »
OK !!  Yes, that sure helps !!  We cannot always tell what items are made of by looking at a pic !! May I ask what the size of this item is ??  Also where are you located ?? Not specifically just in general !! Northern states ect !!  Is anything written inside the funnel ?? May be something similar to what KC was talking about !!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 06:42:00 pm by mart »

help

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 06:53:55 pm »
Matt,  Using the top picture (90 degrees), it's 20" x 20".