Author Topic: Brass & Iron Floor Lamp Artistic Lamps NYC  (Read 1710 times)

KevinB

• View Profile
Brass & Iron Floor Lamp Artistic Lamps NYC
« on: January 25, 2012, 11:55:50 am »
I found a few pairs of ceramic table lamps made by Artistic Lamps NYC but I haven't been able to find any floor lamps or anything about the company itself. I was wondering if anyone had any info on this maker. The lamp measures 61" tall not including the glass which I think isn't original to this lamp. Its made mostly of iron but they used brass to cover the pole and some other decorative parts. The lamp doesn't take a standard lightbulb the socket is really big and it says its rated for 250V. Was this lamp converted to electric? On the bottom in raised letters is ARTISTIC LA     NYC PAT. APPL. FOR.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Brass & Iron Floor Lamp Artistic Lamps NYC
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 12:50:24 pm »
That is a torchiere lamp from the 30s or 20s. They originally had a large glass shade around 18 inches across. They took a three way bulb with a mogul base that was 100-200-300 watts. The shades are very expensive to replace even as reproductions. They are available through lighting showrooms.  The shade on there now is an IES shade, not original, and designed to have a drum shade place over it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 01:17:57 pm »
Frogpatch is correct !!  I have one similar but much wider, heavy glass, shade !!  That is how they were made ,, not converted !!  Bulbs are kinda pricey !!

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 01:29:11 pm »
Thanks frogpatch and mart. I was looking it up so I could see what kind of shade was supposed to be on there. Would something like this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEAVY-5-X-12-FROSTED-MARBLIZED-AMBER-GLASS-BELL-TORCHIERE-LAMP-SHADE-/310272152944

Or should it be more ornate? Would it be worth finding a shade? I dont think it was supposed to be white either. Would it be worth it to take the paint off? Value?

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 02:27:55 pm »
Thanks frogpatch and mart. I was looking it up so I could see what kind of shade was supposed to be on there. Would something like this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEAVY-5-X-12-FROSTED-MARBLIZED-AMBER-GLASS-BELL-TORCHIERE-LAMP-SHADE-/310272152944

Or should it be more ornate? Would it be worth finding a shade? I dont think it was supposed to be white either. Would it be worth it to take the paint off? Value?

Personally, I would find a shade that was larger in diameter and more shallow.

Adapters to use a regular medium base bulb in the mogul socket are also available.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 04:05:50 pm »
Heres a bunch of them. Look at the wide fancy ones with the deep necks.
http://www.mylampparts.com/Departments/GLASS/TORCHIERE-SHADES/GLASS-TORCHIERE-SHADES.aspx

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 05:11:40 pm »
Of course the ones I like are the more expensive ones but I guess those prices aren't that bad. Now I have to decide what to do about the paint. Do I try to bring it back to original brass color or repaint it white. It has alot of white paint loss. The original color looks like it was a dark gold. Would it be better if I could get the white off without messing up the original paint and then just touch up any chips I can see?  Does anyone know what the F is for on the light switch?