Author Topic: Print of a Queen Victoria (?) Portrait  (Read 1769 times)

Zombie

• View Profile
Print of a Queen Victoria (?) Portrait
« on: January 26, 2012, 07:49:41 pm »
I work at a recycling yard with an attached second hand store and we get quite a bit of interesting things in here. Usually I can find information on them fairly easily but this one has me stumped.

This portrait came in a few weeks ago and we're left wondering just what we should sell it for. It's not in great condition at all and we have no further information on it. Any help would be absolutely wonderful.
I've been googling all day today and I'm simply out of things to google. I don't know anything about antiques myself, so perhaps I'm going about it wrong. Any input on future searching would be great as well since we do these old looking things in quite a bit.
The frame is 19 1/2" x 25 1/2"

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Print of a Queen Victoria (?) Portrait
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 09:31:04 am »
I'm far from an expert, but my guess is that your print might be from around the time of the Queen's Golden Jubilee.

I have a wooden case that contains a number of prints about this size. Many of them are of foreign heads of states from about that time period and later. I'm sure they were sold door to door to immigrant families, to help maintain an emotional tie with the "old country".

Mindings

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 10:58:43 am »
Could well have come from a British Embassy or Consulate where they often had many prints of the current monarch.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 12:31:19 pm »
I ran a search on Ebay and it looks like most Queen Victoria engravings or prints are running around $35. I did not see any exactly like this one, but there were some similar examples. Run a search on Ebay for Queen Victoria print and Queen Victoria engraving to get an idea of how to price it. The condition will affect the value of course.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 12:57:21 pm »
If you can take it out of the frame, usually you will find the name of the publisher/printer, their address and the year printed somewhere on the border !!