Author Topic: What to do when you find something disturbing but historically significant?  (Read 4326 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
I purchased a handwritten notebook of recipes that turned out to be a bit more than I bargained for. The notebook begins "This is what I have to say" and it is primarily a recipe book dating from the early thirties through the late sixties. However, through the decades the owner made other random entries about the weather, buying a first refrigerator, addresses, notations when people died, illnesses and even a bit of amatuer song writing, in which she seems to be contemplating regrets over a lost love that she still carries the torch for.

There is one significant historical entry which reads as follows, and this is what bothers me:

"Adjetator King killed in Memphis. He was starting another walk and trouble for all the USA. April 4 1968. Johnson says he seek peace O-"

This is about the death of Martin Luther King Junior. Being from a younger generation than the author I find it kind of chilling, although I am trying to remind myself to try to see this event through the eyes of a midwestern housewife, born about the turn of the century, not particularly well-educated and without much exposure to the world outside of her own circles of friends that she knew and what she knew of the world from radio, newspapers and television.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do with this book. I guess I should use the recipes and put a note in it so that it is not confused as having been written by someone in my family. I kind of feel like I should donate it to some collection related to King, but it is probably not a significant enough statement to be of much interest, although it gives an interesting glimpse into how a lot of people viewed this event.

Any thoughts on this? I will post pics tonight when I get home.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
I can see how someone reading that passage would be upset !!  However, I am a bit older than you and I remember many older people had the same feeling back in the 60`s because of their upbringing !! I am surely not saying that any of it was right but never the less thats how people were !! Remember prior to that African-Americans were not allowed any of the same priviledges we had !!  Many of the older generation just couldn`t get over all the past predjudice !! Most of it was because of the lack of education I think !!  MLK was a great leader in the civil rights movement and he had the right idea of equality through peace !!
Not too long ago I bought a bunch of old sheet music and one of the songs was called "Slave Song" !!  I debated on donating it to a local black church here !!  Just because I thought it might be of historical interest !!  But hubby and I talked about it and we worried more that it would make some people that he has known all his life feel bad !!  I also thought it may have helped some see that they have come a long way from that time !!   I still have it here, but eventually I will find the right place for it !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Weeeeeeell, I'm turning fifty this year, so I remember a lot of those conversations too and unfortunately I still hear a few of 'em, even in this day and age. This one just kind of made my blood run cold because of the assassination. I've got a couple of politically incorrect antiques too, one is a Victrola record that came with a large lot that I bought called "Sing-a-Loo" which is about a Chinese person and it is loaded with racial slurs. The second is a speech that my great-grandmother wrote talking about the "little brown man of the east" or something along those lines, but I can't bear to throw it out, although I fight with myself because I am sure she would not want to be remembered that way.

I guess the best course of action for me is just to ignore that page of this recipe book and do some cookin'.

Rauville

• View Profile
I'm facing a somewhat similar decision concerning 70 years of daily diaries that my late Mother left. She was always faithfull in recording every significant event of life...including written instructions to destroy her diaries, without reading them. It seems a shame to forever lose the history of someone that was born and raised in a sod house, but what alternative does a person have?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
You can't change past history...you can make a new one.

I remember these days....especially being raised in the south!  I have great great great grandparent's wills with slaves being passed on to family members.  All of that was troubling until I found a historical document in the Smithsonian...a slave of my GGGGrandparents and she spoke highly of the family (they gave her a home, food, and treated her like family).  Although, still troubling, it made me feel good to now that they were fair, worked hard on the plantation along with the workers and made sure those that worked for them were well taken care of.  She also referred to a great sense of humor.

So, don't throw them away.  Cherish them for what they are - a snapshot in history!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

matty77

• View Profile
Great outlook KC - agreed.

mart

• View Profile
Very well put KC !! And I agree !!
Tales,, you might want to write a note on the forward page of how you came by this recipe book and maybe your feelings about the note for those that might read it later !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Yes, I think a note is probably a good idea so that someone doesn't think it belonged to my grandparents, whose cookbooks I DO have in the same collection, and I need to put their names in those ones so that it is known which are family and which are not. I also have all family items noted on my antiques list. I keep that updated so that if something happens to me, my son would know what the value of some of these things are, both monetary and sentimental.

Rauville, that's a terrible predicament to have to face. On the one hand you want to respect your mother's wishes and on the other hand, you want her to history to be preserved. Maybe a solution is to have an unrelated but trustworthy third party do a read-through and then talk to them about what decision might be best? I don't think I would be able to destroy them, but I would probably refrain from reading them if my mother had requested it. That's a tough spot to be in!

mart

• View Profile
Rauville,, so sorry for your loss but has it ever occurred to you that perhaps your mother did not have that in mind at all !!  What would be the point of recording everything and then no one to read it !! Maybe she did not have you in mind when she said not to read it !! Perhaps someone else ??  I think that if someone really intended a diary not to be read,, they would have destroyed it !! 

fancypants

• View Profile
Cool 'issues' , @ all previous member postings !

One small way to see justice might-could , or would , be to "title" the book & attribute it all to a named author ... perhaps with a small history of the author , unattached to said item .
Let everyone decide what it means to them (they'll do so anyways !! ) ;D .

Only thing I could offer to Rauville would be to suggest that someone use their scanner/PC device to 'photocopy' all of the pages (which might require some proof-reading for qual chks on the images) without reading them from the original book .
Destroy the original diaries , as specified , and burn some DVD's for those who might be most (or not) offended by the content .
Good lord , I'm thinking like a lawyer again ! ::)

" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

carolanivey

• View Profile
Many local universities have archives for any kind of written material - diaries, journals, manuscripts, etc. You might contact a major college near you and ask about donating it.

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
I agree that you should preserve it.

KC's points were brilliant.  I would only add this to it -- that there are reasons why "current events" are divisive.  History will decree which side "wins", and the victors will re-write history as they please (for example, that MLK was uniformly a great man, yet he cheated on his wife repeatedly, a fact carefully hidden for nearly 40 years after his death).  But there are reasons people on the "losing" side of history felt the way they did, and it's just as vital to understand their perspective. 

Take just one clear "loser" in history -- Adolf Hitler.  Do we really believe that Germans were whispering behind their hands about what a fascist dictator Hitler was? -- no, he rose to power because for many people, he made sense, he strengthened a weakened Germany, he brought prosperity, and he actually had that nation on the brink of taking over all of Europe.  And yes, there were anti-Semitics who felt extermination of the Jews was a good thing, but there were also people for whom hatred of the Jews was not the primary or even secondary reason why they followed, admired, and supported him.  But do we hear those stories? -- of course not!  It's not politically correct to admire Hitler -- and yet, he took a broke, bankrupt, and demoralized nation, still repaying debts and penalties from its role in WWI, to a world power within 20 years.  That IS something to admire -- and yet merely saying that will brand the admirer as a "neo-Nazi".

Similarly, it's politically incorrect to express anything other than fawning admiration for MLK (and add Ghandi and the Dalai Lama to that list).  And yet, all human beings have failings.  And in that era, opinions differed across the country.  Even today, the way race issues are approached vary.  I've lived in many parts of this nation and I live in the South now -- and the most racist places I ever lived were in the north, with their paltry 6, 8, 12% black populations.  Come live in an area that is 78% black (the last county I lived in in Georgia), or 90% black (the county my husband is from) and then let's talk about racism and race relations then!

Don't dismiss her as ignorant, just because she called MLK an agitator.  Many felt similarly.  Bear in mind, too, that MLK was the most peaceful of the civil rights leaders, and that many Americans had experience of civil rights violence (it wasn't just black people being sprayed with fire hoses -- it was Malcolm X encouraging violence against whites, and white women being afraid to walk alone or at night, and a lot of other things).  MLK was just one in the crowd, and the bulk of the crowd was in favor of some level of violence against whites.  It would take time to accept that MLK was different, and for some, he probably didn't seem all that different.  And yes, the lived experience of the civil rights movement would have been vastly different in the south than it was in the north, different in the country than it was in the city.  And thus, any individual understanding of the civil rights movement would have been understood largely in light of local events and local attitudes.

(For example, my husband was raised by a black woman, "the help" as the movie/book calls them, in a rural community where whites and blacks knew each other from birth, loved each other as family, etc (people have a hard time understanding that -- but yes, he loved her, cried bitterly when she died, and is in regular contact with her daughter, a woman who is like an aunt to us).  For whites in this kind of community, the civil rights movement felt like a betrayal, like a member of the family suddenly standing up at the Thanksgiving dinner table to scream that you are the worst human being on the planet, followed by a litany of woes.  In some areas of the north, with minuscule populations of blacks, the civil rights movement was an abstract thing, a philosophical discussion and experiment playing out in real time.  How these two groups see the movement, lived the movement, and remember the movement will be different.  Their opinions of it, and of the people in it, will differ.)

In short, to decide arbitrarily that only one opinion should be preserved is a disservice to the real human beings -- good people, trying to live their best possible lives -- who felt differently than the "winners" did.  One day, historians will want to know things like this -- after all, even an uneducated housewife can have an opinion on world events, and it's interesting to see that at least she was paying attention.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: What to do when you find something disturbing but historically significant?
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 12:42:40 am »
Great points CC, you made me stop and think. I really had never thought about the civil rights movement feeling like a family member betraying you. That's a totally foreign concept to me and it does help to see things from that perspective. Thank-you for that. The reason I commented that the book's owner (she does not give her name) did not seem very well educated was because of her phonetic spellings. I know my great-grandmother was never able to go beyond the 5th grade because upper level schools were simply too far from her home. She was however a great advocate of getting a good education and went to great lengths to make sure her children and grandchildren got one!  :)

I do feel like there is probably a better place for this notebook to be than in my little antique cookbook collection. I like the idea of donating it, I'll give some thought to what might be a good place for it.

So here is the little notebook:

Here is the first pages of the book. The whole book looks very similar to this. Primarily recipes with life events crammed in around them. The earliest entries are written in old fountain pen ink.

And here is the page written on the day of MLK's assassination:

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:49:06 am by talesofthesevenseas »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 11:07:33 am »
@Rauville...  I have kept diaries on and off for years AND I have the same instructions in my diaries, to my parents and now my hubby. Mostly b/c many times I rant in them and while I may feel that way in the moment, it's not how I feel forever.  I would never want someone to misinterpret my writings (good and bad) without a way to explain - nor do I have any desire to explain anything that I write.  It's only a snapshot of the moment. In diaries, you don't self-edit.   Put them away for awhile and see how you feel later.

In that same thought process, it's also likely that this was how this young(?) housewife felt at the time but 20 years later, she could have felt entirely different.  That's the beauty of being human...  We hopefully never stop learning and improving.

No matter what tho (IMO) the most important thing is to remember that these attitudes once existed so that they may never be repeated.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 01:47:39 pm »
Rauville, I have enjoyed hearing the different viewpoints on the diary issue and her wishes.

Would Ann Frank have wanted hers kept or destroyed? He harsh comments about her mom and their relationship...etc. ... There are many notes in history (like US Presidents) that have helped/hurt/even destroyed lives nations. 

Things to ponder.  Just know there are things you may NOT want to know...and there may be many you would be delighted to hear!

Snapshots in history!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!