Author Topic: Old Trunk Questions  (Read 4184 times)

BobHoil

• View Profile
Old Trunk Questions
« on: February 01, 2012, 03:13:35 pm »
So my wife had been wanting an old trunk for some decoration and we ended up purchasing one. Now we got curious and looking at it discovered a worn tag that is a "United States Express Co" tag. We are very curious as to the history of the trunk. It is pretty worn and i did some research and discovered that the company was around from 1854-1914. I have some pictures of the tag and the trunk overall. It isn't in the best shape but has a nice look to it. Also if you notice on the left side of the tag it has the numbers 42 in a small circle. I zoomed in and did an edge detect on imaging software to figure out the number for sure but does that have any significance?

http://bobhoil.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/IMG_0343.jpg
http://bobhoil.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/IMG_0344.jpg

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Old Trunk Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 06:07:02 pm »
Welcome to the forum, bobhoil. Cool trunk! If I had to venture a guess, I would say 1880s-1890s. These are very common today, as they made them by the millions back then. Monetary value is probably $100 or less but historical value definitely makes them worth having around. Trunks have such great history behind them.Here is a link with a little info about flat top trunks.
http://oldtrunks.com/history/historypages/flat_tops.htm

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 06:09:05 pm »
I can`t see it !!  Pics are too large !!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 06:10:14 pm »
Here is one more link, if you scroll down a bit it shows a little bit more info about flat top trunks.
http://www.eagletrunks.com/antiquetrunkhistory/trunkhistorystyles.html

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 06:12:37 pm »
If bobhoil is unable to resize and repost the photos, I would be happy to do it for him. But I don't want to be rude and just do it so I'll let him try first. :)

carolanivey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 07:26:34 pm »
I wonder if it was something like a postage stamp?

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 08:22:44 pm »
That express company label turns a rather common trunk into an interesting object. Be sure to preserve the remains of the tag if you restore the trunk.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 11:28:45 pm »
Looks like a common shippers' tag ... usually the , number hand-written on it would have been the one used on a bill-of-lading for the shipper/mover &/or as a verifyer for a baggage claim 'chit' or ticket .
I'm guessing that yours traveled overland , v.s. seaborne .
Often times , a clerk would dip a glue-brush (mucilage glue) , coat the label & slap it on the item .... some types of packer/mover tags came on a roll , with a glue well & brush that was sorta like our modern tape-dispensers ... but I digress again ....
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

BobHoil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 12:16:06 am »
Thanks for checking out the pictures everyone. So I was doing some looking up and are the United States Express co tags pretty rare? Not that this one is in good shape I just don't see many of them listed or shown anywhere that I could find. Does this increase value? (Not that it matters it is good decoration :P)

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 09:16:07 am »
Thanks for checking out the pictures everyone. So I was doing some looking up and are the United States Express co tags pretty rare? Not that this one is in good shape I just don't see many of them listed or shown anywhere that I could find. Does this increase value? (Not that it matters it is good decoration :P)

I believe US Express operated mainly in the Southern states. Is that where you found the trunk?
The tag adds more interest than value in my opinion.

BobHoil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 01:13:50 pm »
We live in missouri about an hour out of st louis which we got the trunk in a town down the road about 4 minutes.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 02:14:58 pm »
Still can`t see the trunk but the shippers tag would not add to value unless someone had an interest in that company and just wanted it for that reason !!  Like was said,, more decorative interest than monetary !!

BobHoil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 01:07:37 pm »
okay thanks for the help everyone.  :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 08:16:33 pm »
Even though the flat top trunks are not worth a lot,, they are great decorative items !! Decorators today use them for coffee/end tables, at the foot of a bed for storage ect !!  Still great to have !! I bought one once that I thought was just an unusual old trunk !! I didn`t open it because the dealer had it going into the trash !! I offered $10. and bought it !! It was really rough !! Got it home and opened it and what I thought was just an old trunk was a lead lined cooler !! I am going to take the exterior off and put back the wood veneer that once covered it !!