Author Topic: unusual Japanese Satsuma, meiji pierced sides vases and jug  (Read 1068 times)

chonji

• View Profile
unusual Japanese Satsuma, meiji pierced sides vases and jug
« on: February 02, 2012, 03:46:31 pm »
Hi all, could anybody help out here, these pieces are so unusal, to my eyes anyway! The vases have a latticed piercing through the sides, all ofthem show a peacock i think in a tree, I would date them 1880?? meiji period, satsuma, has anybody seen anything similar? I am interestd in  the pierced sides to the vases, they my mum suggests it was for perfume like dried flowers? and they are an unusual shape, also they seem to have some crudely rendered 'crusaders crosses' or a similar design, any info on this set is much appreciated.
the label i pretty much ahve translated, it is enough to more or less date the items, perhaps a name is in there too.

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: unusual Japanese Satsuma, meiji pierced sides vases and jug
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 11:46:28 pm »
Nice Satsuma , chonji !!

The "cross" on the top of the hallmark pictured is a representation of the Shimazu family crest ; the first three letters (on the right hand side of the hallmark read -'Dai Nippon' (japanese-made) .

I can't seem to be able to read much else (with my limited skills) , esp since the image/mark is blurry & I don't know the mark on yours by 'heart' .

Your satsuma should not 'ring' , when you tap it with your finger/fingernail ... more of a 'thunk' sound .

Not too sure at all about the pierced-lattice piece , except to say that it looks like export-designated (not so much for the native japanese market) piece .

The little 'pitcher' looks very much like late meiji , but only from a 'no-hands-lookin'-at-a-picture-on-the-internet' point of view .

Cool little items !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

chonji

• View Profile
Re: unusual Japanese Satsuma, meiji pierced sides vases and jug
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 02:48:12 am »
Yea thanks, I like these in a weird way, despite them being a bit garish for my taste I dont think they are top quality, but cannot be sure, they certainly seem rather aged. Yes the letters themselves on the label are actually rendered like that, so no clearer photgraphy is possible really, There is possibly a makers name in there or other region ino but apart from that it just says words along lines of dai nippon satsuma.
i may post some improved pictures so can see full tiems and a better look at the picture, i would like to find what the bird in the tree is, as i dont think it is a peacock.

i am keen to properly establish a value on them prior to selling though.

Any thoughts? At present i am thinking it could be low but could also be high hundreds, at auction, depending, so hard to say.

There are two of the vases together with the pitcher as a set.

By the way i got the three for £5 ;->